Here is the rewritten news article in a professional and engaging journalistic style.
Yankees Bench LeMahieu, Shift Chisholm to Second in Major Lineup Overhaul
NEW YORK — Reeling from a brutal slump that has seen them lose 16 of their last 23 games, the New York Yankees are implementing a dramatic shake-up of their infield, beginning with the demotion of veteran DJ LeMahieu from his everyday role.
Manager Aaron Boone announced Tuesday that the 36-year-old LeMahieu will move to the bench, a significant development considering the two-time batting champion is owed the remainder of his $15 million salary this year and another $15 million next season.
Since returning from a calf strain in mid-May, LeMahieu has struggled both at the plate and defensively at second base, where his limited range has contributed to the team’s defensive woes. Boone acknowledged that LeMahieu was not pleased with the decision. “Not great, necessarily,” the manager said. “That’s kind of the situation we’re in right now.”
The move creates a domino effect across the infield, with Jazz Chisholm Jr. shifting from third base back to his natural position at second. Chisholm, who had expressed a desire to return to second, has struggled with the intricacies of the hot corner, tying for second among all third basemen with six throwing errors.
When asked to describe his game at second base, a confident Chisholm told reporters, “Elite defender. Elite slugging. Fast. Great defense… Sounds like a complete player to me.”
With Chisholm installed as the new everyday second baseman, Oswald Peraza will take over as the primary option at third. While Boone praised Peraza’s defense, he noted “it’s been a struggle offensively” for the young infielder. LeMahieu is not currently considered an option for third base due to physical challenges, according to Boone.
The shake-up raises questions about LeMahieu’s long-term future in New York. As an expensive bench player with limited defensive versatility and declining power, the possibility of him being designated for assignment looms if the team seeks to upgrade the roster before the trade deadline.
The Yankees’ front office is actively exploring external solutions for third base, with potential trade targets including Eugenio Suárez, Ryan McMahon, Ke’Bryan Hayes, and Willi Castro. The team also recently signed veterans Jeimer Candelario and Nicky Lopez to minor-league deals.
Compounding the team’s struggles, the bullpen took another hit Tuesday with reliever Mark Leiter Jr. landing on the 15-day injured list with a left fibular head stress fracture. Leiter’s injury, sustained last month while covering first base, further depletes a relief corps already missing high-leverage arm Fernando Cruz. These mounting issues add urgency for the front office to make impactful moves as the trade deadline approaches.