The kitchen is considered one of the most important facilities in the house. It is the place where the housewife spends a lot of time. Therefore, care must be taken to choose an ideal decor that suits the space of the house and the needs of the family when designing the house.
The open kitchen is one of the most important elements of modern home designs, as it has become the first option that many resort to instead of the traditional closed kitchen.
The open kitchen is characterized by the fact that it opens the door to creativity and innovation of new designs, and the use of accessories that constitute attractive elements in the design of the living room or the area in which it is located.
Interior designer Karen Salem says that this type of kitchen began to spread in 1990 and consists of only two or three walls, with the fourth wall open and connected to the corresponding space. This is why open kitchens create an attractive atmosphere by providing a smooth transition between the main living spaces.
In most cases, the open kitchen overlooks the living room or an area of the house that some people designate as a dining room for the family.
Its decor includes special accessories, storage cabinets, and a high marble shelf that features multiple uses as a table or as a space to place food in the form of a “buffet” or dining table.
In addition, there is great interest in placing the sink with the food refrigerator and the cooking area (stove) in the so-called “kitchen triangle”, through which the refrigerator, sink and oven can form a triangular shape that achieves ease of movement.
Open kitchen on one wall
Designer Salem considers that a kitchen open to one wall is the ideal solution for homes with very small spaces, as it works to provide the largest possible space for the rest of the home’s furniture items, “but the working area in the kitchen itself is rather small, so it needs to be constantly arranged and disposed of unwanted things.” necessary first and foremost.
Pros of an open kitchen
- Good lighting with ideal ventilation: The open kitchen gains additional lighting and ventilation provided by the open space.
- Interaction with others: The open kitchen overlooks either the living room or the dining room, and this feature helps avoid the isolation of the person in the kitchen, as he will be able to participate in conversations with his guests or family members sitting in the living room, and on the family level, the mother will be able to follow her children’s lessons while Washing dishes or preparing food.
- The illusion of more space: The open kitchen is an ideal solution for small homes, as it gives the illusion of a large space due to the lack of walls in it, and it works to enhance expansion and visual communication, which creates a feeling of spaciousness. When you adopt an open kitchen, you provide a decent amount of space that you can exploit as you wish.
- Great place to meet: Some open-plan kitchens include long marble tables with bar stools or bar stools, where visitors can relax and chat while dinner is prepared.
Disadvantages of open kitchen
- The kitchen is always bustling and full of annoying noises.
- Clutter that gives the home an inappropriate appearance must always be eliminated, and many storage units can be provided in the kitchen to solve this problem.
- It lacks privacy for the housewife, which is what she needs sometimes while cooking.
Despite this, Salem explains that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Open kitchens are one of the most beautiful things that can be relied upon in the design of modern homes. It is a contemporary kitchen that gives a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere. Open kitchens also help in solving the problem of small space, and they can also be a beautiful and distinctive corner. To decorate.
Important points when choosing an open kitchen
Under the title “Which is better, an open or closed kitchen?” The “Housing” website published a topic explaining how to choose kitchens that suit the family's needs and home spaces, and discussed the most important advantages of each to make the decision.
The topic confirms that the demand for open kitchens has increased in recent years, especially as it enhances the social life of the family and reduces isolation, especially during food preparation.
Here is what you should take into consideration:
- It is necessary to install devices to eliminate odors and fumes resulting from cooking food.
- It is necessary to choose appliances made of stainless steel.
- It is necessary to constantly organize the kitchen and maintain its external appearance, because it represents the most important part of the overall appearance of the house.
- Hide clutter with smart storage solutions, making the design simpler and more practical at the same time.
- Make sure that the decor and colors of the kitchen are suitable for the open part.
- Always maintain the cleanliness of work surfaces.