Furloughed BA customer service agent who was told to reapply for his old job on a lower salary was found dead from alcohol poisoning on floor by his pregnant wife, inquest hears
- Dharmindera Kalyan, known as Darsi, furloughed from high-ranking position
- He was offered his old job back but with reduced pay just days before his death
- His pregnant wife Ella found him dead on the floor of their living room in July
- Assistant Berkshire coroner Alison McCormick opened his inquest earlier today
A furloughed British Airways customer service worker rolled off his sofa and died of alcohol intoxication and a fatty liver after having a drink with a meal the night before, an inquest was told today.
Dharmindera Kalyan, known as Darsi, was furloughed from his position at the start of lockdown.
After four months away from work he was offered his old job for less pay.
He fell into a state of distress, bought a bottle of alcohol and died at his home in Maidenhead, Berkshire, on July 16, a coroner was told.
Alison McCormick, assistant Berkshire coroner, offered no indication of how much alcohol he consumed. She said: ‘On July 15, he bought a bottle of alcohol from a local shop, had a drink with his dinner and went to bed at 9.00 that evening.’
Dharmindera Kalyan, known as Darsi, had been furloughed from his high-ranking position at a property management company at the start of lockdown. Pictured, with his wife Ella in 2015
The next day his pregnant wife of six years, Ella Kalyan, found him dead on the living room floor after he had fallen off the sofa.
Assistant Berkshire coroner, Alison McCormick, described the circumstances of Mr Kalyan’s death at the opening of his inquest in Reading today.
Darsi fell into a state of distress, bought a bottle of alcohol and died at home on July 16
She said: ‘He had been bereaved in December 2019 and in the early parts of 2020 he was furloughed from his employment for the pandemic.
‘This caused him significant stress. He did not seek any medical attention for the stress he was suffering from.
‘In July this year, there was an incident in respect of which he was asked to re-apply for his job at a reduced pay rate, adding to his stress.’
She said the morning after he had the drink he slept until 9.45am and didn’t want to go outside. Instead, he ‘spent time asleep on the living room sofa’.
‘At one point he rolled off the sofa and was observed to be on the floor and soon after that Ella, his wife, noticed that some features didn’t look right about him and, unfortunately, he had passed away,’ Ms McCormick added.
His pregnant wife of six years, Ella Kalyan, found him dead on the living room floor after he fell off the sofa as he slept through a hangover. Pictured on their wedding day in March 2014
‘The cause of death offered by the pathologist is alcohol intoxication and a fatty liver.’
Ella’s father, who sat in the inquest opening, told the coroner his daughter had just lost her dog in recent weeks too.
‘A new life is a blessing,’ Ms McCormick said in an attempt to reassure him.
The hearing was adjourned for a full inquest to take place at a later date.