The US Secretary of State said Anthony BlinkenDuring an unannounced visit to Baghdad on Sunday, he said that the attacks against American forces in Iraq and Syria, which intensified after the start of the Israeli aggression against Gaza“Totally unacceptable.”
Blinken’s visit came in light of missile and drone attacks targeting Iraqi military bases that included American forces and others from the international coalition to combat “terrorism,” which intensified after the start of the war on Gaza.
Blinken confirmed during a brief press conference at the conclusion of his meeting with the Iraqi Prime Minister Muhammad Shiaa Al-SudaniHe “made it absolutely clear” to Al-Sudani that “these attacks and threats coming from militias allied with Iran are completely unacceptable.”
He added during the conference before leaving for Turkey, “We will take the necessary measures to protect our forces.”
Al-Sudani had condemned the attacks on American forces, directing the security forces to “track and trace the elements carrying out them.” Al-Sudani previously described the Israeli bombing of Gaza as tantamount to “genocide” against the Palestinian people and demanded a ceasefire.
Washington accuses Iran of being indirectly involved in these attacks, which also targeted American forces in Syria.
Most of these attacks were claimed by the “Islamic Resistance in Iraq” through channels on the Telegram application belonging to Iraqi factions close to Iran.
According to figures announced by the Pentagon on Friday, between October 17 and November 3, 17 attacks occurred in Iraq and 12 in Syria.
About 2,500 American soldiers are deployed in Iraq, providing advisory missions to their Iraqi counterparts as part of the fight against ISIS.