Canelo Alvarez’s blockbuster super-middleweight fight against Callum Smith in December ‘could be aired on DAZN’… less than a week after Mexican SPLIT from broadcaster over failure to agree two bouts in 2020 as part of his £278m 10-fight contract
- Mexican star Canelo Alvarez looks set to fight Callum Smith in Texas next month
- Canelo split from DAZN last week and his trainer confirmed he is a free agent
- But the super-middleweight clash could still be carried in the US by DAZN
- Smith works with Matchroom Boxing, who enjoy a close partnership with DAZN
Canelo Alvarez‘s reported fight against Callum Smith next month could be aired on DAZN despite the Mexican’s split from the streaming platform last week.
Reports emerged on Wednesday that the Mexican has agreed to fight Brit Smith in a blockbuster super-middleweight clash in December, with the AT&T stadium in Texas touted as a potential venue.
Now, ESPN are reporting that despite Canelo splitting from DAZN and becoming a free agent last week after two bouts in 2020 did not materialise as part of his stunning £278m 10-fight contract, the fight could still be broadcasted on DAZN in the US.
Canelo Alvarez split from DAZN last week but his next fight could still be aired on the platform
The Mexican is set to face Callum Smith (right) in Texas next month and it could be on DAZN
The report says it is ‘very possible’ that DAZN will carry the fight anyway, given Smith is under Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing promotions company, which works closely with DAZN.
Alvarez, a four-weight world champion, has been at war with the streaming service over his mega-money deal, which saw him file a lawsuit against his promoter Oscar De La Hoya, Golden Boy Promotions and DAZN back in September.
After months of legal battles, Alvarez’s manager Eddy Reynoso announced the sensational news of the split on Instagram last week, where he claimed that the ‘administrative problem’ involving the 30-year-old has been ‘solved’.
‘Starting today, November 6, Canelo becomes a free agent, so we are ready to continue with his boxing career,’ said a statement from his trainer and manager Eddy Reynoso.
A press release from Canelo’s team last week claimed the 30-year-old is now a free agent
‘All this time we have been working very hard in the gym with a lot of responsibility and discipline, to be in great physical shape and ready to fight this year and it will be!
‘We will announce date, rival and place very soon, and we will return stronger than ever to keep growing and showing that Mexican boxing is the best. Thank you!’
The multi-weight world champion had grew tired at his lack of activity, having not fought since beating Sergey Kovalev last November when he added the WBO light-heavyweight world title to his collection of belts.
A date is yet to be confirmed for his potential clash against Smith but the 19th has been earmarked.
Alvarez is set to make his return against the No 1 No 1 ranked super-middleweight Smith
Canelo, 30, easily represents the toughest test of Smith’s career with the Brit’s best win to date coming against George Groves back in 2018.
Smith will however hold a significant height and reach advantage over Canelo and is widely seen as someone who could cause the Mexican troubles.
Canelo is the biggest star in boxing and it is likely that the possibility of fans attending will be explored, given the scale of this fight.