The capital authorities did not confirm the color of the Epidemiological Traffic Light in which Mexico City will be during the next few days, because the endorsement of the federal Ministry of Health has not been received.
The head of government, Claudia Sheinbaum, announced that regardless of the color of the traffic light, the strategy will be to continue with vaccination and keep the economy open.
The authorities reinforced the call for the population to get vaccinated, highlighted the application records of booster dose and dose of first scheme of lags in the past days. Additionally, they highlighted that despite the increase in infections, hospitalizations and deaths remain at low levels.
At the last cut, 2,562 hospitalized patients with Covid-19 were registered in the clinical units of the Metropolitan Zone of the Valley of Mexico. The authorities pointed out that between 20 and 40% of these patients have a positive result for the virus, but that is not the reason for their hospitalization.
Despite the increase in hospitalizations, the levels are still low compared to previous peaks in Covid-19 infections. The unvaccinated population in hospitals in Mexico City represents 82% of hospitalizations.
The indicator that does show a substantial increase is the positivity in tests at kiosks and health centers.
Booster for adults 40 to 49 years old
The capital authorities also announced the beginning of the vaccination of the following age group: adults aged 40 to 49 years in the 16 municipalities of Mexico City. It will start on January 31 and will run until February 5.
Text messages will be sent to registered persons with the date and time of the appointment. The authorized locations will be the same as for the previous vaccination group:
- Jaime Torres Bodet Cultural Center: Gustavo A. Madero and Azcapotzalco mayors
- Campo Marte: mayors Cuauhtémoc, Miguel Hidalgo, Benito Juárez, Cuajimalpa and Benito Juárez
- Arms Hall, Sports City: Iztacalco, Venustiano Carranza, Cuauhtémoc, Benito Juárez and Iztapalapa mayors
- Palace of Sports: Iztacalco, Venustiano Carranza, Benito Juárez and Cuauhtémoc mayors
- IPN Vocational 7: Iztapalapa Mayor’s Office
- CENCIS Marina: Xochimilco, Tlalpan and Coyoacán mayors
- National Institute of Genomic Medicine: Xochimilco, Tlalpan and Coyoacán mayors
- University Olympic Stadium: mayors Coyoacán, Magdalena Contreras, Álvaro Obregón and Benito Juárez
- El Vergel housing unit: Tláhuac and Iztapalapa mayors
- Sports Villa Milpa Alta: Milpa Alta Mayor’s Office
State of Mexico turns yellow
For its part, the government of the State of Mexico announced earlier that it will go to a yellow epidemiological traffic light starting next Monday, January 24, after registering a rise in Covid-19 infections last week.
The State of Mexico, which has remained at a green traffic light since October 15, 2021, did not specify whether the return to face-to-face classes will have changes, nor the new provisions for businesses due to the change in traffic light color.
On Thursday afternoon, the governor of the State of Mexico, Alfredo del Mazo, reported that he tested positive for Covid-19.
The municipality of Ecatepec registers the highest number of infections in the city, which accumulates 180,522 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 24,190 deaths due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus until this Friday.