Former Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has turned down the opportunity to be Celtic’s new team boss.
The deposed Scottish champions had hoped the 43-year-old would sign a contract in the next few days after he became their preferred candidate.
It is not clear why he decided against the move, but it is understood the make-up of his backroom team could have played a part.
Celtic are already in advanced talks with another candidate.
A source at the Glasgow club has told BBC Scotland that they still hope to appoint a successor to Neil Lennon in the coming days.
As they gave an update to supporters at the launch of season ticket sales for next season, Celtic said on Wednesday they intended to “finalise” the appointment of their next manager shortly.
Howe was expected to take over as the Glasgow club apologised for the delay in replacing Lennon, with the Northern Irishman’s former assistant, John Kennedy, having been in interim charge since February.
Celtic, who had won four domestic trebles in a row, ended the current campaign without a trophy – for the first time since 2010.
They had been in talks with Howe since April.
More to follow.