Christian Porter has admitted it is possible he met his rape accuser again years after their night out in Sydney’s Kings Cross.
The attorney-general outed himself on Wednesday as the federal minister accused of raping a teenage girl in 1988 to emphatically deny even sleeping with the woman, who took her own life last June.
The 50-year-old former public prosecutor confirmed he attended a debating competition at Sydney University with his accuser when he was 17 and she was 16.
An emotional Mr Porter told reporters at a gruelling press conference he’d never met the ‘bright, happy’ woman after that night.
Attorney General Christian Porter can’t recall meeting his alleged rape accuser after the pair met in 1988 but has since conceded it’s possible they met again. He’s pictured with wife Jennifer, whom in separated from in early 2020
His claim contradicts woman’s unsworn affidavit stating they had dinner together in Perth six years later in 1994.
Mr Porter’s on Thursday said though he can’t recall any specific contact with the woman since 1988, a he conceded it was possible the pair may have met up again.
‘The minister said at his media conference on Wednesday that to the best of his recollection he hadn’t had any contact from the person in question since January 1988,’ his office told News Corp.
‘If there is some information that there was some form of contact in the early 1990s, that is not impossible and it’s not a case of disputing that possibility.
‘As noted by the attorney-general on Wednesday, he has never seen the anonymous letter sent to Members of Parliament and then to police and has absolutely no idea what claims are made in it other than what has been reported in the media.’
Tearful: Christian Porter has outed himself as the cabinet minister accused of rape to categorically deny the accusation and has insist he will not stand down
Mr Porter categorically denied raping the woman who took her own life last year just one day after calling off her plan to issue a formal statement to police.
He is not under investigation and refused to stand down from his cabinet position.
Former NSW Liberal staffer Dhanya Mani, who is a friend of the rape accuser, called for the allegations to be ‘heard and justly inquired into in a legal process’.
‘The statement that my friend completed but was unable to sign because of Covid-19, no fault of her own, because of Covid, should be deemed admissible for the purposes of that inquiry,’ she told ABC’s Q&A on Thursday night.
‘There’s precedent for a deceased individual’s allegations to be heard and justly inquired into in a legal process.’
She also called on Prime Minister Scott Morrison to hold an independent inquiry.
‘I think there should be a High Court inquiry, we’re talking about the chief law officer of this country,’ Ms Mani said.
‘I think it’s appropriate as a result that the High Court is the body to examine the veracity of my friend’s allegations.’
The woman claimed in an unsworn affidavit she and Christian Porter met again over dinner six years later in Perth (pictured)
Another Q&A panellist, News Corp reporter Samantha Maiden, went to school with the woman, whom she recalled as ‘the most brilliant girl at school’.
The South Australian Coroner asked the police to further investigate the woman’s death and hasn’t ruled out an inquest.
Coroner David Whittle received an ‘incomplete’ brief of evidence from police on Monday in relation to the 49-year-old woman’s death last year.
Mr Whittle assigned one of his senior lawyers to liaise with police to collect more evidence such as letters and unsworn statements from the woman before she took her own life.
‘I determined that the investigation is incomplete. This was particularly evident having regard to information contained in recent media reports,’ Mr Whittle said in a statement late on Wednesday.
Former Liberal staffer Dhanya Mani (pictured) who was a friend of the rape accuser, called for an independent inquiry
‘Counsel Assisting the State Coroner was allocated to assist SAPOL in the direction of the further investigations which I have requested.
‘The investigation is continuing and once that investigation has been completed to my satisfaction, I shall determine whether to hold an inquest.’
The woman’s family have thrown their support behind ‘any inquiry’ which sheds light on the circumstances surrounding their loved one’s suicide.
‘They (the family) are supportive of any inquiry which would potentially shed light on the circumstances surrounding the deceased’s passing,’ the spokeswoman said.
For confidential crisis support, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.
South Australian Coroner David Whittle (pictured) has refused to rule out a inquest into the death of the woman who accused Christian Porter of raping her in 1988.