‘I said f*** this and bounced’: Conor McGregor claims his most recent retirement was because he was ‘sidelined’ by UFC and says he had plans for FOUR fights across 2020
- Conor McGregor has claimed he was ‘sidelined’ by UFC over the last 12 months
- The Irishman says he had plans for four fights in 2020 but they never took flight
- McGregor retired again back in June after beating Donald Cerrone in January
- He is expected to return to the octagon in January though against Dustin Poirier
McGregor claims he had plans for a busy 12 months of action inside the octagon but retired for the third time in June after overcoming Donald Cerrone in January inside just 40 seconds.
The controversial Irishman is poised to make another comeback to the octagon in January 2021 with talks ongoing over a rematch against Dustin Poirier.
Conor McGregor has claimed his most recent UFC retirement was because he was ‘sidelined’
McGregor claims he had plans for four fights in 2020 but UFC chief Dana White didn’t take him up on it
It is thought a stall in contract negotiations and then the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on UFC halted McGregor’s plans and ‘The Notorious’ was not booked to compete again.
And when told by a fan on Twitter on Tuesday night that he should return to UFC on a ‘permanent basis’, McGregor claimed he had tried to plan multiple fights for 2020 but had been let down by Dana White and Co.
McGregor replied: ‘After being ignored on the 3 dates I put forward (3 consecutive dates I might add! Would have had me at 4 fights this calendar year) Followed then by being sidelined because no crowds in attendance, I said f*** this and bounced.
‘4 fights this era = 6mill PPV buys. How much lost?’.
He also told another fan: ‘I am raring to go and in the best place I’ve ever been. Excited to show my practices to the world!’.
McGregor and Poirier battled it out against each other back in September 2014 at UFC 178, with the Irishman winning via a technical knockout in the first round.
McGregor knocked out his old rival Poirier in under two minutes then, but admitted earlier this week in a Twitter Q&A that he hopes it will be an even quicker finish this time round.
‘I will aim to not only improve on the time I beat him in previously, but the shot I slept him with also!’ McGregor replied when asked how long his opponent will last. ‘Poirier is a hell of a fighter, but I’m McGregor.’
He also confirmed that he plans to reclaim his place at the top of the UFC‘s lightweight division next year.
‘I will commit to the 155lb division for 2021,’ McGregor responded when asked if he sees himself fighting again at welterweight.
‘Some great match-ups to be had here, as well as unfinished business. I will show the world once again who I am, and what I’m about. Trust that! 170 is in my thoughts also, however. You know me for doubling up…’