Conor McGregor rips into UFC fans for questioning his decision to take on ‘legend’ Donald Cerrone as Irish star hits out at critics who have ‘never fought anyone on planet earth’
- Conor McGregor’s last fight was victory over Donald Cerrone in January
- Irishman has hit back at ‘insecure’ critics of his clash with American veteran
- Some fans said match-up was uneven and beneath former two-weight champion
- He is scheduled to take on Dustin Poirier on January 23 next year at lightweight
Conor McGregor has blasted ‘insecure’ critics of his decision to fight Donald Cerrone back in January.
The Irishman steam-rolled his 36-year-old welterweight opponent in just 40-seconds, leading some fans to label the contest a mismatch that McGregor should not have taken on.
But McGregor hit back, arguing that those naysayers not only disrespect ‘Cowboy’ but also are simply projecting their own shortcomings onto him.
Conor McGregor has hit back at critics of him fighting Donald Cerrone earlier this year
McGregor swept the American aside inside the first minute in a dominant display
He told Parimatch: ‘You know you go online and you’ll see some guy like ‘Hey, you only f****** fought Cerrone’, like imagine some guy saying that about a legend.
‘The way the fans kind of try to downplay who you fought or something or say ‘You haven’t fought this guy yet’, or you ain’t done that.
‘If you think of it like a mirror, that person who’s writing this or saying this, he himself is projecting his own insecurities because that person wouldn’t have fought anyone on planet Earth.
‘So he’s saying, ‘You ain’t doing this, you ain’t doing that’ when really it’s in his own thoughts that he ain’t done this or ain’t done that on any scale, so it’s like a mirror.
‘You know as long as your own self is right, everything else around you will become right. And that’s it.’
Cerrone is a legend of the sport and deserves more respect, insists the Irishman
McGregor has not fought again this year since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and announced his retirement for a third time in the summer.
He subsequently revealed that the decision was an emotional one based off the frustration at the UFC failing to give him a fight.
But a rematch with Dustin Poirier is in the works for January 23 next year and UFC president Dana White is certain the final details will be ironed out soon.
McGregor is scheduled to face Dustin Poirier next year in a rematch at lightweight
He told ESPN: ‘I’m not worried about it. Conor McGregor has never said, ‘Listen I want to fight,’ gone out the way that he’s gone out, talked about it.
‘We got him his own date. McGregor’s going to show up and fight. I’m not worried about his bout agreement, but I don’t know if it’s been signed.
‘I’m assuming it has, but it wasn’t the other day when I texted, the fight wasn’t done yet.’