Cristiano Ronaldo returns ANOTHER positive coronavirus test…ruling him out of Champions League clash with rival Lionel Messi
- Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo has returned another positive coronavirus test
- The result will rule him out of their Champions League match against Barcelona
- Ronaldo has been self-isolating since testing positive for Covid-19 on October 13
- UEFA allowed Ronaldo to test 48 hours before the game due to his low viral load
- Ronaldo hoped to face rival Lionel Messi but recorded another positive result
The Juventus star had been self-isolating at home since he tested positive for Covid-19 on October 13 and had hoped to return to action against his rival Lionel Messi in their Champions League clash.
UEFA allowed Ronaldo to take a new test just 48 hours before the game – due to his very low viral load – but the striker recorded another positive result.
Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to find out today whether he can face rival Lionel Messi
Ronaldo was asymptomatic when he tested positive days after playing for Portugal against France and Spain and posing for a team photo at dinner. He also displayed no symptoms when he tested positive for a second time last week.
Ronaldo has been eager to return and add another thrilling chapter to his encounters with Messi.
Ronaldo’s reunion with his rival was the pick of the ties when the Champions League groups were drawn.
The pair have not faced each other in the Champions League since the semi-final between Real Madrid and Barcelona in the 2011-12 season.
The Portugal captain has been exercising at home to keep fitness levels up ahead of a return
Ronaldo poses with his Portugal team-mates just a day before his positive test was revealed
The Portugal superstar has already missed three matches for Juventus – Pirlo’s side beat Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League last week but were held to two draws in Serie A.
When asked whether Ronaldo had breached Covid-19 rules by taking a private air ambulance, Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora told Rai Radio: ‘Yes, I think so, if there were no specific authorisations from the health authority.’
Andrea Pirlo is ‘counting’ on available Juventus players to be ‘great’ against Barcelona
The news of Ronaldo’s third positive test will see Juventus manager, Andrea Pirlo, ‘count on the players available to sacrifice themselves’ against Barcelona.
He said in a press conference: ‘We will count on the players we have available. Barcelona are strong and have great champions, we must play a great game.
‘The players will certainly have to sacrifice themselves and play a great match. I’ll go ahead with the back four because I only have four defenders. So, we’ll go on like this.’