Reactions continued to Tunisian President Kais Saied’s decision to dissolve parliament. Former President Moncef Marzouki called on the deputies to gather a quorum to dismiss Saeed, and in the meantime, the threat of a confrontation appeared between the authority and the Journalists Syndicate, which announced the organization of a strike in the public media institutions.
“Nothing will change with the dissolution of Parliament, except for the fall of the last fig leaf on the coup,” the former Tunisian president said – in a statement posted on his Facebook page.
Al-Marzouki added, “At least we have finished with the lies, the ridiculous contradictions, and the continuous delirium about respecting the constitution and the constitution, which is no longer valid.”
The former president called on the military and security forces to “choose clearly with whom they stand: with the state, with the constitution, with the supreme interest of the nation… Or with a man who deceived his voters, lied to God, broke his oath, divided Tunisians in an unprecedented way, and destroyed all modern state institutions.” .
Al-Marzouki also called on parliament to ignore the decision to dissolve, continue its work and seek “to gather a quorum to isolate a person who has proven that he is fit for everything except to be the head of a state like Tunisia.”
For its part, the Tunisian Democratic Current Party expressed its rejection of the decision to dissolve parliament, describing it as “another violation of the constitution, and confirms Qais Saeed’s coup intentions.”
The party added in a statement that it renewed its support for “a calm and rational national dialogue on a roadmap that respects constitutional legitimacy.”
The opposition continues
Earlier, a member of the Executive Office of the Ennahda Movement, Ahmed Qaaloul, told Al Jazeera that the movement “will continue peaceful and civil opposition and call for dialogue.”
In turn, Ennahda MP Yamina Zoghlami said, “We are not afraid to defend a legitimate institution.”
Yesterday, Wednesday, Tunisian President Kais Saied announced the dissolution of the parliament, which had been frozen in office, calling for an investigation to be opened against those he called “conspirators against the state.”
Saeed’s decision came after a remote meeting of parliament members, during which they voted in favor of canceling the exceptional presidential decrees that grant the president almost absolute powers.
And the Official Gazette reported that the President issued a decree to dissolve Parliament late yesterday evening, Wednesday, 8 months after suspending the parliament’s work and assuming full executive authority.
On the other hand, Tariq Fiteti, Deputy Speaker of Parliament, whose work has been suspended, said that the result of the vote in the plenary session – which was held yesterday via video – entitles the parliament to be in a permanent session.
During the session, in which 121 deputies participated, 116 out of 217 deputies approved a bill to cancel the exceptional measures announced by President Saeed on July 25, which included dissolving the government and suspending the work of Parliament, and its opponents considered it a coup against the constitution and revolution. The law also cancels the decrees and orders issued by the President since that date.
On the other hand, the Tunisian Journalists Syndicate announced today that it will continue to implement a nationwide general strike in public media institutions next Saturday.
The head of the Syndicate of Tunisian Journalists, Mohamed Yassin Al-Jelassi, said – in a statement published by the union on Facebook – that the union’s executive office took its decision based on the government’s failure to respond to the demands contained in the strike telegram issued on March 23.
Al-Jelassi added that the participants in the strike will gather in the media institutions centrally and regionally in front of their headquarters at 11 am on Saturday (local time).
The strike includes – according to the statement – all public media institutions, and “the coverage of the strike is limited, and exceptionally, to urgent and necessary news for the public interest.”
The captain of the Tunisian Journalists Syndicate had said – in an interview with Al Jazeera Net published yesterday, Wednesday – that the union’s escalation comes after a series of faltering negotiations with the government regarding several pending files, such as the appointment of heads and general managers in the public media, and it also comes after “the disruption of the reform process in Strengthening these institutions, striking at union work, directing the editorial line, especially on Tunisian television, to serve the President of the Republic, and the deterioration of the fragile situation of journalists within these institutions.