Dillian Whyte slams ‘coward’ Daniel Dubois for ‘quitting’ in his shock defeat to Joe Joyce as Carl Frampton and David Haye question youngster’s decision to take a knee in heavyweight contest
- Dillian Whyte has slammed Daniel Dubois for ‘quitting’ in his defeat to Joe Joyce
- The youngster took a knee in the 10th round and did not make the ref’s count
- Dubois’ defeat represents a big setback in his title charge next year
- Whyte, who had been called out by Dubois, has labelled him a ‘coward’
Dubois, 23, who entered Saturday’s contest undefeated after 15 professional bouts, was the bookies’ favourite having impressed with a series of strong displays in his young career.
But ‘Dynamite’ was in for a rude awakening as the wily veteran displayed the resilience and durability to combat the youngster’s power, before frustrating Dubois with his strong jab.
Daniel Dubois has been accused of ‘quitting’ as Dillian Whyte labelled the youngster a ‘coward’
The 23-year-old suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Joe Joyce in an all-British showdown
Joyce, 35, saw his patient strategy reap its rewards in the 10th round as Dubois, who had suffered considerable swelling to his left eye, took a knee in the middle of the canvas and did not make the 10-second count.
And Whyte, the former WBC mandatory challenger, has laid into the 23-year-old. Dubois and promotor Frank Warren had called out the Bodysnatcher for a match-up, but the Brixton fighter was left unimpressed by Saturday’s showing.
‘Man’s out here quitting in mid-fight,’ he said on Instagram. ‘They were saying they wanna fight me and they were gonna knock me out.
Dubois took a knee in the 10th round and did not make the count as he suffered his first defeat
‘One thing with me, no quit, straight warrior. If I’m losing, I’m getting knocked out. Straight warrior, straight warrior. And these cowards wanna mention [me].’
Carl Frampton, a former two-weight world champion, has also hit out at Dubois’ performance, insisting the youngster ‘quit’ in the clash at Church House in London.
‘I think he quit, have to be brutally honest,’ the northern Irishman told BT Sport. ‘His eye was closed, but I’d get dragged out of the ring, I wouldn’t take a knee.’
And heavyweight rival Whyte has slammed the youngster for ‘quitting’ in the ring on Saturday
Former heavyweight champion David Haye also questioned Dubois’ resilience after the fight
Former heavyweight champion David Haye also questioned Dubois’ decision to take a knee, saying he would rather suffer a devastating knockout instead.
‘I was very unhappy with the way he took a knee,’ the 40-year-old said. ‘I’d rather get knocked spark out.’
Dubois insisted that his toughness should not be called into question, as the Greenwich-born star was taken to hospital following his shock defeat.
‘He caught me with another jab to the eye. I could hardly see out of it. I can’t explain it. I’m a tough guy and I will come again,’ he said in the immediate aftermath.