BREAKING NEWS: Alexander Povetkin is HOSPITALISED with coronavirus and his rematch with Dillian Whyte is cancelled… with promoter Eddie Hearn suggesting Brit could face Tyson Fury instead
- Dillian Whyte was seeking revenge against Alexander Povetkin on November 21
- He now faces a wait until January 30 next year for the rematch he desires
- Eddie Hearn has teased the possibility of Whyte facing Tyson Fury instead
Dillian Whyte’s rematch with Alexander Povetkin has been postponed until January after the Russian was taken to hospital with coronavirus.
Whyte, who was knocked out by Povetkin in their first fight in August, was set to face the 41-year-old at Wembley Arena on November 21.
But plans are now being redrawn for a January 30 clash after Povetkin tested positive for the virus.
Alexander Povetkin’s (left) rematch with Dillian Whyte has been postponed
Promoter Eddie Hearn tweeted: ‘Unfortunately we got the news today that Alexander Povetkin is in hospital after testing positive for Covid-19.
‘The fight will now be rescheduled to a target date of January 30. An announcement on our Nov 21 show will be made shortly.’
Hearn floated the possibility of an alternative fight between Whyte and Tyson Fury, though the latter is in talks over a December 5 bout with Agit Kabayel ahead of a possible blockbuster against Anthony Joshua in 2021.
Hearn added: ‘This is a challenging time for shows. There will be lots of ups and downs over the next few months. We look forward to the fight happening in late January.’
Povetkin (right, pictured with Whyte in August) is in hospital after contracting coronavirus
Eddie Hearn has suggested that Whyte’s next opponent in the ring could be Tyson Fury
Whyte was left requiring oxygen after a brutal knockout from Povetkin earlier this year, but was quick to request a rematch.
Hearn said in August: ‘The first thing Dillian said was: “Get me that rematch, get me that rematch.”
‘Povetkin is mandatory now, but the only person who would get called to negotiate fighting the winner of Fury-Wilder was Dillian Whyte.
‘We’ll exercise that rematch clause. We’ll look to make that before the end of the year and it’s a huge fight.’
Fury is set to return to the ring on December 5, with Germany‘s undefeated former European champion Kabayel given 24 hours to accept an offer to challenge the Gypsy King for the WBC belt.
Whyte was knocked out by Povetkin during their meeting in the ring in August
Deontay Wilder missed out on a trilogy fight with Fury after delaying a deal for too long.
Fury is looking for a warm-up fight before taking on Joshua, with whom he has a financial agreement in place for a world heavyweight title unification fight in 2021.
But now Hearn has thrown up the possibility of that opponent being Whyte instead of Kabayel.