Egyptian media and a source on the border said that a group of injured people were evacuated from… Gaza strip I crossed into Egypt today, Wednesday, according to a Qatari-brokered agreement.
Groups of foreign nationals and Palestinians with dual nationalities also arrived on Wednesday from Gaza to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing.
Three Egyptian security sources and a Palestinian official reported that at least 320 holders of foreign passports crossed into Egypt from Gaza in the first batch of evacuations from the besieged Strip.
Al Jazeera’s correspondent said that 76 wounded have also left the Gaza Strip so far from the Rafah crossing and moved to the Egyptian side to receive treatment. Medical sources said that Egypt prepared a field hospital in Sheikh Zuweid in Sinai.
The injured were transported in ambulances through the Rafah border crossing, and journalists documented scenes of ambulances lining up carrying the wounded who were injured in the Israeli bombing of the Gaza Strip.
Egyptian media also reported the first footage of women and children crossing through the crossing, which is the only land crossing into the Gaza Strip not under Israeli control.
According to the agreement reached by Egypt, Israel and the Islamic Resistance Movement (agitation), a number of foreigners and seriously injured people will be allowed to leave the besieged sector.
The evacuation operation comes after another day that witnessed a new massacre in Jabalia, in which dozens of martyrs fell.
Earlier, an Egyptian security source said that up to 500 holders of foreign passports will cross the Rafah border crossing on Wednesday. He added that about 200 people were waiting on the Palestinian side of the border on Wednesday morning.
Raed Abdel Nasser, Secretary General of the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai, said that the remaining 525 foreigners scheduled to enter today, Wednesday, are arriving.
Abdel Nasser indicated that a new batch of wounded and injured Palestinians had entered Al-Arish General Hospital and Bir Al-Abd Hospital.
A Western official said that Israel and Egypt agreed on a list of names of people who hold foreign passports and can leave Gaza, and the relevant embassies have been informed of this. An Israeli official, who requested to remain anonymous, confirmed that Israel is coordinating the departure operations with Egypt.
Earlier, Reuters reported that Qatar mediated an agreement including Egypt, Hamas and Israel, in coordination with Washington, to open the Rafah crossing on Wednesday.
A source said that the Qatar agreement is not linked to other matters under negotiation, such as the release of hostages or a humanitarian truce.
He added that the Qatar agreement will allow holders of foreign passports and some seriously injured people to leave Gaza.
Last Friday, the Palestinian factions called on Egypt to open the Rafah crossing to transport the wounded and bring humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip to save it from the “humanitarian catastrophe and genocidal war.”
According to Israeli data, the Qassam attack on the Gaza Strip on October 7 resulted in the deaths of about 300 soldiers and about 1,100 civilians.
The Ministry of Health in Gaza says that at least 8,796 Palestinians, including more than 3,500 children, have been martyred in retaliatory Israeli strikes on Gaza since October 7.