EastEnders director is sacked from the set after turning up to work ahead of receiving a positive covid-19 diagnosis
- Joe Nugent, a director on EastEnders, attended set with covid-19 ‘symptoms’
- After taking test weekend of October 10 he went to work Monday and Tuesday
- Late Tuesday the test came back positive, with a cast member later falling ill
An EastEnders director has been sacked from the set after turning up to work ahead of a positive covid-19 diagnosis.
Despite experiencing symptoms of the virus Mr Nugent went into work as normal at the BBC‘s Elstree set in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, for the following Monday and Tuesday.
The director only notified colleagues after his test result came back positive on Tuesday evening – having already spent two days amongst the soaps’ crew and cast.
Joe Nugent, a first assistant director at the show, took a test for coronavirus after feeling unwell over the weekend of October 10
One cast member later tested positive for coronavirus following the covid rule breach by Mr Nugent.
A source told The Sun how a show chief had written to staff saying: ‘You will all have heard we had an active Covid case on site.
‘This should serve as a reminder that keeping ourselves and our colleagues safe is an ongoing situation and a shared responsibility.’
Although the EastEnders’ cast member who subsequently tested positive for the virus has not been named, Danny Dyer ruled himself out with a series of negative coronavirus tests following the scare.
The EastEnders’ cast were said to have almost staged a ‘mutiny’ over the news that a positive covid-19 case had been on set
One cast member later tested positive for coronavirus following the covid rule breach by Mr Nugent (pictured)
An EastEnders source told The Sun that actors nearing the at-risk age bracket had felt ‘livid’ and ‘let down’.
They added: ‘There was talk of a mutiny. He was given the boot, partly to assuage cast members.’
Since filming resumed in June all staff members have been regularly tested for covid-19.
MailOnline has contacted Joe Nugent for comment.
Danny Dyer ruled himself out with a series of negative coronavirus tests following the scare
Socially distanced filming taking place on the set of EastEnders as two actors sit separated for a scene on the same bench
Last week EastEnders’ new £87 million set took a step closer to completion, as builders finished work on the redesigned Queen Vic pub along with a slew of other businesses on Tuesday.
Snaps show the big-budget set isn’t far from being glimpsed on screens, with the newly-painted tavern boasting a new version of its iconic sign.
Work on the EastEnders’ set has been ongoing during the COVID-19 pandemic, and despite being a step closer to completion is still not expected to be done until 2023.