Mums go wild over a budget-friendly party game that’s perfect for Christmas – and all you need is a roll of cling wrap and a pair of dice
- A game using glad wrap has gone viral in the lead up to Christmas this year
- The game is like pass the parcel but the parcel is made from cling wrap
- The other players must roll two dice and get ‘a double’ to get a turn unwrapping
A high-stakes game has made it to the top of the ‘must play’ list this Christmas, and mums love it because of how easy and affordable it is to arrange at home.
Dubbed the ‘Glad Wrap’ game, it is similar to pass the parcel but instead of paper, the gift is wrapped in cling film.
The rules are slightly different too – instead of stopping when the music stops, the players of this game must continue until the person next to them rolls a double on a pair of dice.
Once the next player rolls a double, they can start opening the parcel which is typically filled with lollies, toys and money.
Scroll down for video
The ‘Glad Wrap’ game is similar to pass the parcel, but instead of paper, the gift is wrapped in cling film
A pair of dice are thrown by the next player. When they land on a double, the player gets a turn
But they have to stop as soon as the person next to them succeeds in rolling two of the same number.
When wrapping the parcel the game creator can make things more difficult by cutting different sized pieces of cling film and layering them in different directions.
Glad Wrap costs $9.95 for 150 metre rolls at leading supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths, but it’s often reduced by a few dollars on special offer.
A video showing the game and its rules, including how to wrap the parcel, has gone viral on social media with many adding their own variations to the comments.
‘Use oven mitts when unwrapping the ball. It makes it harder and a lot more fun,’ one person suggested.
Others instructed their party guests to ‘dress up’ before they start unwrapping the ball.
The bundle is made with cling film. prizes are wrapped up in the middle of the film
How to play the Glad Wrap game
1. The first player begins to unwrap the ball. They don’t stop unwrapping until the person next to them rolls doubles.
2. Once the person to the right has rolled doubles the first person has to give them the ball to unwrap.
3. The third person then has to try to roll doubles so they can have a turn.
4. The person unwrapping the ball gets to keep the gifts they find during their turn.
5. The game continues until the last present is revealed. The ball keeps moving to the right as doubles are rolled.
Some prefer to play the game with tongs to make it more challenging.
Many joked about how the game can become ‘super competitive’.
‘Somebody at my house tried to take the skittles out when their time was clearly up and a full on fist-fight broke out,’ one woman said.
‘Cops had to come and pepper spray us and took us all to jail. Just getting out now. Best. Christmas. Ever.’