Australian challenger George Kambosos Jr has savaged TeÃ³fimo LÃ³pez over the unified lightweight world champion pullingÂ out of their June 19 fight due to him contractingÂ coronavirus.
- George Kambosos Jr was set to fightÂ TeÃ³fimo LÃ³pez for three versions of the lightweight world title on June 16
- The fight had previously been delayed from June 5Â to allow more people to attend in Miami
- LÃ³pez, who is not believed to have been vaccinated, tested positive for COVID-19 after travelling to Las Vegas
The fight, along with the entire undercard,Â has been rescheduled for August 14,Â Triller’s Ryan Kavanaugh, who is promoting the event, has confirmed in a statement.
Kambosos, who is undefeated through 19 fights, said he was “absolutelyÂ devastated” the bout had to be delayed, blaming it on LÃ³pez’s decisions.
“I’ve been away from my kids for 13 weeks, I flew my pregnant wife over to be by my side, I putÂ every bit of my life into this camp with my team,” Kambosos wrote.
“Your actions and decisions have affected not only our fight but everyone involved in this fight! Pure irresponsibility on your whole side.”
LÃ³pez, who is understood to be symptomatic,Â travelled to Las Vegas last weekend to attend the junior lightweight title fight between Shakur Stevenson andÂ Jeremiah Nakathila.
“I am devastated to disappoint so many people,” LÃ³pez, who has a professional record of 16 wins,Â wrote on Twitter.
“Being a champion means doing hard things â¦ And I choose to keep my fellow athletes safe.Â
“I know the sacrifices we have all made to get here. I believe I am doing the right thing. I don’t want to infect anybody. Sport has power. I choose to use my power to be a good example.”
Former promoter asks why LÃ³pez was not vaccinated
Bob Arum, LÃ³pez’s former promoter,Â ripped the American for apparently refusing to be vaccinated.
“Now, with the vaccination [available], anybody [who]Â gets COVID, shame on them,” the 89-year-old said while promoting Tyson Fury’s third fight with Deontay Wilder in Los Angeles.
“Shame on them because they hadn’t taken the time, or they decided for some crazy reason not to get vaccinated. That’s nuts.
“We tell all our fighters, ‘You guys are fighting for big moneyÂ and promoters are laying out big money,Â get yourself vaccinated so you don’t contract the COVID.’
“TeÃ³fimo, there was no reason why, before he went into training, he didn’t get vaccinated. No reason.
LÃ³pezÂ currently holds three of the four recognised world championship belts at lightweight, and is recognised as The RingÂ and WBC franchise champion.
Kambosos was set to fight for the IBF, WBA and WBO versions of the world titles.
The 28-year-old Australian, who bemoaned being away from his children for 13 weeks,Â vowed to punish the American for making him wait for his shot.
“Our time will come and I promise you and the world that I’m going to take you out worse than ever for everything,” Kambosos said.
This is the second time the fight has been delayed. It was previously moved from June 5 to allow for a full attendance at the Miami MarlinsÂ stadium, where itÂ was due to be held.
The fight cannot be held at the venue on August 14 as the Marlins are set to host the Chicago Cubs in a Major League Baseball match.