| Detroit Free Press
General Motors revealed its first all-electric pickup Tuesday – the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1.
The pickup, which will be built at GM’s Factory ZERO in Detroit and Hamtramck, Michigan, will be the first fully-electric addition to GMC’s lineup that starts production late next year.
Consumers can place reservations for Edition 1 trim now. But be prepared to ante up some serious cash, as the starting price is $112,595.
It will be powered by GM’s proprietary Ultium batteries and Ultium Drive, GM’s proprietary EV drive units and have off-road capability.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s president. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, Hummer EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance.”
Every GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 will be identically appointed and fully equipped, GM said. Each features a white exterior and a unique Lunar Horizon interior, with special “Edition 1” interior badging.
The Hummer EV’s design is meant to be bold and futuristic, featuring details such as the distinctive “H” motif seen in a number of elements.
Also, GMC designers have reimagined conventional displays to communicate the vehicle’s capability and technology via exterior lighting and interior user interfaces.
“The GMC Hummer EV reimagines an instantly recognizable silhouette for a modern, all-electric future,” said Phil Zak, design executive director. “Its design visually communicates extreme capability, which is reinforced with rugged architectural details offered with a premium, well-executed and appointed interior.”
GM said the 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1’s starting price of $112,595 includes destination charges and it leads “a range of additional trims to be introduced in future model years. Standard equipment on all, including Edition 1, includes Super Cruise capability with three years of service, UltraVision with High Definition Surround Vision, Digital Key, 35-inch-OD tires, Infinity Roof, power rear drop glass, six-function MultiPro Tailgate and more.”
GM said the Hummer 3x available in the fall 2022 will start at $99,995. The Hummer 2x will be available in spring 2023 starting at $89,995 and the Hummer 2 will be available in spring 2024 starting at $79,995.
GM is promising the pickup will have some unique driving abilities. For example, one feature GM teased about the vehicle this past summer was its ability to “crab walk,” a steering technology that allows the vehicle to move diagonally.
The pickup will have 1,000 horsepower and an estimated 11,500 pound-feet of torque, generated by three separate motors within two Ultium drive units.
GM is calling it the “supertruck” because of the Hummer’s off-road capability as well as on-road driving and handling.
“We had one goal for Hummer EV: Build the most capable factory truck — ever,” said Al Oppenheiser, GMC Hummer EV chief engineer. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability unlike anything GM has ever offered before.”
Highlights of available features include:
- 4-wheel steer featuring CrabWalk1, which is exclusive to the segment. It allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension with Extract Mode2 capability, which allows the suspension height to be raised 6 inches to help the Hummer EV negotiate extreme off-road situations.
- It will have 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler All Territory MT tires standard and can accommodate 37-inch tires. These tires are extra strong and flexible for maneuverability and can scale 18-inch verticals and drive through water deeper than two feet.
- Underbody armor, consisting of steel plates around the battery pack to help protect it in extreme off-roading conditions.
- UltraVision4 that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to protect against damage and have a wash function to clear debris.
- Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens.
100 miles in 10 minutes
The GMC Hummer EV will have fast-charge capabilities and offer “optimal range” estimated to be 350 miles on a full charge, GM said.
It will offer an 800-volt DC public fast-charging compatibility of up to 350 kilowatts and will be able to charge nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes, GM said.
GM said the most recent version of its hands-free driving Super Cruise technology will be available on it that can be used on more than 200,000 miles of enabled roads. It will also have a new automatic lane changing feature that can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols.
A fully equipped trim package will also offer, among other things:
- Open-air driving with standard Infinity Roof and removable transparent Sky Panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
- Premium, technical interior materials.
- A large, 13.4-inch-diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch-diagonal driver information center display.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions.