Oman- Some of the most basic gifts we can give our children are acceptance, stability, and most importantly, love. Of course, parents innately love their children, but there is a need to express this love from time to time, even if it seems complicated sometimes.
There are easy ways to express your love for your child and make him feel it. This feeling of parental love can improve many aspects of his life, according to what experts confirm to Al Jazeera Net.
Emotional intelligence and its flexibility
Educational psychological consultant Dr. Rula Abu Bakr says that expressing love to our children is “a multi-faceted journey that goes beyond mere words,” and that the impact of our affection “is reflected in different aspects of their lives, and shapes their emotional intelligence.”
She adds that the feeling of love in children is “comprehensive and integrated. A happy child feels safe and confident, loves others, and takes the initiative to show feelings of love to those around him, which contributes to his emotional development.”
Ways to express love to a child
In her interview with Al Jazeera Net, Roli mentioned some ways to express love to a child: Such as:
- Have a good time: The most effective way to express love is to spend quality time with our children. We engage in activities they enjoy, we enjoy attention with them, and we are present in these moments. All of this not only strengthens the bond between parent and child, but also enhances the feeling of security and importance.
- Boost self-confidence: Encouragement and verbal expressions of love have a profound impact on a child’s self-esteem. We must regularly affirm our children’s value, reinforce their strengths and bless their efforts, as this is an essential building block for their self-confidence.
- Positive listening: Show your love for your child through positive listening. When your child feels heard and understood, he or she is more likely to develop strong interpersonal skills. This helps build empathy, a crucial component of emotional intelligence.
- Encouraging expression of emotions: Encourage your child to express his feelings by teaching him a variety of emotional vocabulary. In doing so, you provide him with the tools necessary to understand his feelings and express them effectively, and this enhances his self-awareness.
Counselor Rola concludes: Expressing love for your child is a dynamic process that stems from different aspects of his life. These small efforts contribute greatly to the development of his emotional intelligence. By creating a loving and supportive environment, you provide your child with the tools to navigate his or her emotions, think together, and express freely.
Forms and manifestations of love
In turn, educational expert Dr. Dhouqan Obaidat told Al Jazeera Net that expressing love has many forms and manifestations. Of which:
- body language: This is shown through the expressions of the child’s family, welcoming him with a smile, as well as hugging him continuously, in addition to talking to the child and listening to him to make him feel that his words are important.
- Supporting some of the child’s ideas: By listening to your child, it is important to support some of his ideas, and you can direct him to the right behavior away from preaching and guidance.
- Evaluating the child’s actions and behaviors: This is done through the use of phrases; Such as: “Thank you.” Also, talking to him should be using the word “I,” for example: Tell him “I am happy with you,” “I love you very much,” “I am proud of you,” and others.
- Praise the child’s achievements: It is important to praise the child’s achievements and appreciate the good things he does; Because this makes him feel self-confident and loved in his family, and it also gives him balance, a sense of his importance, and appreciation for the role he plays among his family members.
- Love strengthens mental health: Love makes the child act without repression or fear, and he develops a personality free of complexes and capable of confronting problems and solving them.