This section of IGN’s Hitman 3 guide is all about getting Hitman 1 and 2 content in Hitman 3, including unlocking the Hitman 1 and 2 levels in Hitman 3, as well as transferring your Hitman 2 progress.
Before we begin, there are some important things to note:
- These unlocks only work on the same platform family you bought Hitman 3 on. That is, PlayStation, Xbox, Stadia, or the Epic Games Store. If you bought Hitman 2 on Steam, things will be more complicated since Hitman 3 is exclusive to the Epic Games Store on PC.
- Returning players should import their Hitman 2 progress before starting any Hitman 3 content. This is because importing old progress will erase anything you did in Hitman 3 thanks to item unlocks.
- It’s impossible to import Hitman 1 progress directly from that game. Hitman 1’s levels were ported to Hitman 2 as the Legacy Missions Pack. This is considered Hitman 2 content, but can be unlocked for free if you have a full version of Hitman 1 (detailed below).
- Switch players cannot import progress. This is for the simple matter that Hitman 2 isn’t available on Switch as a standalone title to begin with.
There are four scenarios this page will help you out with. Pick the one that applies to you:
I’m Starting With Hitman 3
If Hitman 3 is your first in the trilogy and you only want to unlock the levels from the first two games, the Access Passes available via the Hitman 3 in-game store tab in the main menu is your best bet. These will allow you to download all of the levels and story content into Hitman 3, letting you play through the entire trilogy in one game.
The packs that unlock older content in Hitman 3 are as follows:
- Hitman GOTY: Unlocks the 6 levels from Hitman 1, as well as the “Patient Zero” bonus campaign with 4 new Destinations, 3 Escalation Contracts, plus 3 outfits and 3 weapons.
- If you bought Hitman 3 on the Epic Games Store, this content will be unlocked for you automatically.
- Hitman 2 Standard: Unlocks the 6 Destinations from Hitman 2.
- Hitman 2 Gold Edition: Everything in Hitman 2 Standard, plus both Expansion Passes that add 2 new story Destinations (New York and Haven Island), Hantu Port Sniper Assassin location, Special Assignments in existing Hitman 2 levels, and various outfit and weapon packs.
I’ve Got Hitman 1/2 and Want To Unlock Their Levels
If you already own either Hitman 1 or 2, you can use your existing copies of these games to unlock their Access Passes in Hitman 3 at no extra cost. You will need to do this even if you’re transferring your progress from Hitman 2!
- Hitman GOTY: To get the Hitman 1 levels for free, you need to have all seven Hitman episodes downloaded onto the system Hitman 3 is on, or own either “Hitman: The Full Experience”, “Hitman: the Complete First Season”, and update them to the latest version.
- If your Hitman 1 content is owned digitally, they’ll unlock the Legacy Mission Pack automatically.
- If you have “The Complete First Season” or “Definitive Edition” on disc, you’ll need to follow the prompts in their in-game store to redeem and download the Legacy Pack.
- If you then go to the Hitman 3 in-game store, you can download the Hitman GOTY pack that includes the GOTY content, no matter which version of Hitman 1 you have.
- Hitman 2: If you have the full version of Hitman 2 installed, simply go to the Hitman 3 in-game store and download its Access Pass.
- If you’re playing on Xbox, you’ll also need to have acquired the Hitman 2 Starter Pack on your account. Physical version owners will also want to install the Bonus Episode via the voucher included with the game.
I Want To Transfer My Hitman 1 Progress
Unfortunately, the simple answer to this question is that you can’t. At least, not from the original Hitman 1 game.
This is because Hitman 1 progress can’t be transferred to Hitman 2, let alone 3. Instead IO Interactive released the Legacy Mission Pack, enhanced versions of the Hitman 1 levels, as DLC for Hitman 2. This is considered Hitman 2 content but is still a full Hitman 1 experience.
If you do own Hitman 1, you can unlock the Legacy Mission Pack for free, as described in the previous section.
I Want To Transfer My Hitman 2 Progress
If you’ve played Hitman 2 and want to import your old progress into Hitman 3 for item unlocks, things are a bit more complicated. The things to note here are:
- You need to sort this out BEFORE starting any Hitman 3 content. This is because all the XP and item unlocks will erase any progress you already made in Hitman 3.
- You can only import your progress ONCE. This is important because progress between Hitman 2 and 3 will NOT be synchronised. So if you transfer your progress to Hitman 3, then continue playing Hitman 2 and unlock new stuff, you can’t transfer it again to Hitman 3.
- Unlocks from Hitman 1 CANNOT be transferred, but the Legacy Mission Pack can. The Legacy Mission Pack in Hitman 2 is Hitman 1’s levels optimized for Hitman 2 as DLC. This is the closest you can get to importing Hitman 1 progress into Hitman 3.
- Stadia players progress automatically. If you played Hitman on Stadia, your progress will be carried over to Hitman 3 automatically. It’s important to note that Stadia is considered distinct from PC.
- Mission Stories and Escalation Contracts don’t carry over. While all the levels are available from the start of the game, the carryover process only reflects your unlocks, account XP and level Challenges. Mission Stories and Escalation Contracts aren’t carried over, and Save files are left behind.
- Any unlocks linked to a DLC pack purchase aren’t carried over; they’re instead available through Hitman 3 and should be available to you for free.
To import your progress on all platforms (excluding Stadia, since it’s done automatically there), you need to use an IO Interactive account.
- First, go to the IO Interactive Account page and make a new account if you don’t have one already.
- Next, start up Hitman 2 main menu and tab over to the Options menu all the way to the right.
- Scroll down to the IOI Account option and select it. Here you can input your email, which registers Hitman 2 to your IOI Account, as well as your current platform.
- Repeat the above two steps in Hitman 3 to link it to your IOI Account.
- If you want to carry progression on PC to an Epic Games Account, starting Hitman 3 will get it to show up later on the Carryover page.
- Next, go to the Carryover page. This will run you down the information you need to know about the transfer process, including platform families, what will be carried over, and so on. Click Next once you’re done reading.
- Next is Select Source Account, where you’ll be displayed with all the console accounts linked with your IOI Account. Select the one you want to transfer from, then hit Next.
- After a short wait, you’ll see a review of your progress in Hitman 2 on the account you selected. Double-check that it’s what you want, then click Next.
- Now you need to select the account to transfer to. Select the same platform as before, then click Next.
- You’ll now be presented with a summary page to double-check things before clicking Confirm.
- Now just restart Hitman 3 and your progress will be there!
REMEMBER, if you’ve made progress in Hitman 3, transferring your Hitman 2 progress will erase all your Hitman 3 progress!