North Korea defended its missile tests as its legitimate right to self-defense, and considered that the United States was deliberately escalating the situation by imposing new sanctions on it.
A foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency that North Korea’s recent development of a “new type of weapon” was part of its efforts to modernize its national defense capabilities, and was not targeting any specific country or undermining the security of its neighbors.
The statement added that the United States’ accusation of Pyongyang “of legitimate exercise of the right of self-defense is a clear provocation, and resembles the logic of guerrillas,” warning of a “stronger reaction” if the United States adopts a confrontational approach.
North Korea’s foreign ministry said that while Washington may talk about diplomacy and dialogue, its actions indicate that it “remains immersed in its policy of isolating and stifling” North Korea.
On Wednesday, the administration of US President Joe Biden imposed its first sanctions on North Korea’s weapons programs following a series of missile launches by Pyongyang, including two last week.
No hostile intent
Washington also called on the United Nations Security Council to take action against a number of individuals and entities from North Korea, accused of violating council resolutions that prevent North Korea from developing missiles and nuclear weapons.
US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said the United States had made it clear that it had no hostile intent toward North Korea, and was ready to engage in talks with it without preconditions.
And Blinken considered – in press statements – Thursday that North Korea wants to “draw the attention” of the international community to the increase in missile launches, and considered these missile tests “destabilizing, dangerous and in violation” of United Nations Security Council resolutions.
He stressed that the United States is determined with its allies that there will be repercussions and consequences for North Korea’s actions.
Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin stressed that sanctions against North Korea will not contribute to solving the existing problems on the Korean Peninsula, calling on all parties concerned to exercise restraint.
Noting that China hopes all parties “act and speak wisely” and adhere to dialogue and consultations, he said additional joint efforts are required for the stabilization of the Korean situation.
Diplomatic efforts have been deadlocked in the context of the North Korean nuclear file since the failure of the historic summits in 2018 and 2019 between then US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.