The personal trainer responsible for singer Rita Ora‘s body has shared her workout secrets – and warned you’ll need to ‘work until exhaustion’ if you want her sculpted physique.
When Rita, 30, arrived in Australia earlier this year, she quickly enlisted Jono and worked hard at the gym in order to stay looking lean and strong.
Scroll down for video
The Australian personal trainer behind Rita Ora’s (pictured) sculpted physique has shared her workout secrets, including focusing on one area of the body on different days of the week
Jono Castano (pictured) runs the celebrity-loved Acero gym chain in Sydney, whipping the likes of Candice Warner and model Megan Blake Irwin and Laura Dundovic into peak shape
Jono’s tips including recommending a combination of workouts comprising HIIT, stretching and recovery (Rita Ora pictured doing a whole body hang and using the hamster wheel)
Rita (pictured arriving at the gym) works out at Acero several times per week in order to stay in shape
‘My philosophy requires recommending a combination of workouts comprising HIIT, stretching and recovery,’ Jono told FEMAIL.
‘It’s important to ensure I hit each of the three areas for a rounded fitness and wellness plan.’
Jono said: ‘For example, with Rita, we might focus on HIIT cardio training in the first half of the week, then core and upper body in the middle, and lower body at the end.’
In one clip, the 30-year-old completes a gruelling round of rotating pulls with a resistance band,
On Jono Castano’s Instagram page, Rita can be seen training in a variety of ways.
In one clip, the 30-year-old completes a gruelling round of rotating pulls with a resistance band, leg raises, hanging hold and the tough ‘hamster wheel move’.
This requires her to push round a gym device and works to tone your arms, shoulders and core at the same time.
In another clip, Rita can be seen hanging from a machine completing weighted leg raises with a dumbbell between her legs.
Every move requires working the star until exhaustion in order to properly fatigue the muscles.
While Jono recommends focusing on one area of the body each day, that doesn’t mean you can’t do moves that work various areas at once, or try compound exercises (Rita pictured working out)
The PT (pictured) with Rita Ora likes to tell clients to keep their heart rate above 120 beats per minute as much as possible to maximise fat burn and muscle gain
What are Jono Castano’s training secrets?
1. WORK DIFFERENT AREAS: Jono recommends you set aside different days of the week to train different areas of the body. For example, you might do upper body in the first half of the week, mid body and core in the middle and lower in the last few days.
For the muscle to grow, you need to work it to complete fatigue or exhaustion, Jono (pictured) said
2. TRY COMPOUND EXERCISES: While Jono recommends focusing on one area of the body each day, that doesn’t mean you can’t do moves that work various areas at once, or try compound exercises. The PT said compound exercises work different areas of the body at once leading to more muscle tone. Good examples include squats, burpees and skipping.
3. THINK HOLISTICALLY: Jono said it’s important to think holistically about your health. He always recommends a combination of HIIT, stretching and recovery to his clients.
4. WORK UNTIL EXHAUSTION: For the muscle to grow, you need to work it to complete fatigue or exhaustion. Jono’s workouts comprise different ’rounds’ designed to exhaust the body.
5. BE CONSISTENT: The secret to success in the gym is being consistent. This means always getting in 45 minutes of exercise every day, whether it’s at home or in the gym.
6. LOOK AT CALORIES: Jono said you need to eat well as well as train well. Focus on calories in versus calories out and remember you can increase your allowance in line with how much you’ve burned.
7. KEEP YOUR HEART RATE UP: Finally, Jono said you need to keep your heart rate up if you want to see real change. He recommends keeping it to over 120 beats per minute – as this burns as many calories as possible.
Rita Ora (pictured in May) arrived Down Under in February to film the voice, and she has remained here for the past few months
When it comes to the secrets behind Rita’s body, Jono said his attitude is the same for all of his celebrity and regular clients:
‘Compound motions that include more muscle groups are the best for shifting fat and toning up,’ he told FEMAIL.
‘Because you’re engaging more muscles, these exercises burn more calories, and you’ll get the most out of your workout.’
If you want to get started in the gym with compound exercises, some of the best include barbell squats, deadlifts and the assault bike.
‘If you’re at home, try squat and presses, burpees and skipping,’ Jono added.
‘Consistency is key – always get your 45 minutes of exercise in every day, either in the gym or at home,’ Jono said about seeing results (Rita Ora pictured at Bondi Beach)
Jono also recommends trying to stay as motivated as possible, as it’s likely you won’t see immediate change:
‘Consistency is key – always get your 45 minutes of exercise in every day, either in the gym or at home,’ he said.
‘Remember that the gym isn’t only about losing weight and looking after your body, it’s about undertaking a change as a whole.
‘I believe in whole person health, so looking after your mind and eating well is just as important as getting your sweat on.’
He added: ‘Focus on calories in versus calories out, you can allow for a higher intake of calories in line with how many you are burning’.
Jono said he tells clients including Rita Ora (pictured) to focus on calories in and calories out, as you need to think holistically about your overall health
Finally, Jono said you need to believe in yourself if you want to see real change:
‘Being confident is your secret weapon to ensure you stay on track,’ Jono said.
‘You can also try and focus on exercises that keep your heart rate above 120 beats per minute, as these will help you to burn as many calories as possible.’
Jono Castano is a fitness expert and partner for oral and telehealth pioneer SmileDirectClub.
Research by SmileDirectClub found Ausies believe straightening their teeth would give them a confidence boost, and inspire them to make more life changes.