With the spread of respiratory diseases, people began to explore different ways to keep the respiratory system healthy, and washing the nose with saline using nasal sprays is among the many methods adopted to keep the nose clean.
According to a website report, onlymyhealth Nasal rinsing with saline or the use of saline nasal sprays in such cases helps by effectively eliminating excess mucus and debris in soothing the nasal passage and helps breathing during an upper respiratory infection.
Types of nasal sprays
When you think of nasal sprays, you might mistakenly think that they are all the same and they all work the same, yet nasal sprays can be categorized into two categories – medicated and saline.
Medicated sprays are used for specific health indications, while saline nasal sprays can be used daily to keep the nasal cavities clean of pollutants and germs.
Commonly used nasal sprays:
1. Decongestant nasal sprays
It is mainly used to remove nasal congestion, however, it is recommended to use it only according to the doctor’s advice and for the period mentioned on the label, always refer to the instructions on the package for safe use.
2. Nasal steroid sprays
They are powerful anti-inflammatory drugs and are used to clear nasal congestion caused by sinusitis. They are also useful in reducing sneezing, runny nose, itching and watery eyes. However, they should only be used on a doctor’s prescription.
3. Saline nasal sprays
Saline sprays can effectively eliminate germs and allergens that cause swelling and irritation in the nose. Made from a sterile saline solution, these sprays moisturize and clean the nostrils.
Benefits of using a nasal saline spray
- Daily cleansing of the nose
- Remove excess mucus, allergy particles and germs from the nose, making it easier to breathe
- Cleaning the nasal cavities when they are clogged, for example during a cold or in cases of allergies
- Thins and loosens nasal secretions and helps remove them
- Moisturizing the nasal mucosa in case of minor nasal irritation or due to low humidity (eg due to heated/air conditioned rooms, high altitudes, air travel)
Daily use of saline nasal sprays can go a long way in promoting a clean nose, but before you start using any medicated nasal spray, you should consult your doctor to understand which one is best for your health.