The French President announced Emmanuel Macron His country decided “not to join” the US-led coalition in launching strikes against “The HouthisIn Yemen, in order to “avoid escalation” in the region, he reiterated the call for a ceasefire in Gaza.
The United States and Britain launched strikes on sites of the Ansar Allah group (Houthis) in Yemen at the end of last week, in an effort to put an end to attacks launched by the group “in solidarity with the Palestinians in Gaza.”
Macron said, during a press conference yesterday, Tuesday, “France decided not to join the coalition that led preventive strikes against the Houthis on their lands. Why? Because our position specifically seeks to avoid any escalation,” stressing that the issue is not “military” but “diplomatic.”
The United States previously announced the formation of a multinational coalition, as part of what it called “OperationGuardian of prosperityThe Houthi group responded that this coalition will not stop its operations in the Red Sea, which it describes as aiming to support the Palestinian people in confronting the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip.
The war on Gaza
On the other hand, Macron warned that Israel’s continued launch of “insufficiently precise” military operations in the Gaza Strip poses “a threat to its security in the long term,” as he put it.
He added, “We will continue diplomatic initiatives, decisions and discussions to call for a ceasefire, and I will continue bilateral communication in an attempt to reach it concretely.”
Macron announced that a “honoring” ceremony for those he described as victims of the movement’s attack “agitationIt will be held on Israel on the seventh of next February, while he did not mention more than 24,000 Palestinian martyrs who fell as a result of the ongoing Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip.
The French President said, “On February 7, when the victims of terrorism are memorialized” in Paris, “I will honor these victims, along with their relatives, families, and all those who want to join us.”
Macron recalled that his country “lost 41 of its people” in these attacks and that 3 French nationals are still being held “hostage” in the Gaza Strip.
Macron stressed that every effort would be made with the Israeli authorities and “with Qatar, which plays a decisive role in this regard” and with many other partners to release them.
Since last October 7, the Israeli army has been waging a devastating war on Gaza that has left, to date, 24,285 martyrs and 61,154 injured, and caused the displacement of more than 85% (about 1.9 million people) of the Strip’s population, in addition to massive infrastructure destruction. Infrastructure, vital facilities and hospitals.