Firefighters search for bodies in rubble after ‘fatal’ gas explosion rips through Ealing shop
- Footage shows firefighters climbing inside building to help a trapped person
- Blast happened at a barbers and phone shop on King Street, Ealing at 6.20am
- A further two children and 16 residents were also evacuated from the scene
- The owner of the mobile phone shop Jatinder Singh, 36, has been left devastated
A man has been left injured and a child had to be rescued after a suspected gas explosion ripped through a shop in west London.
Video footage of the blast was posted on social media showing firefighters climbing inside the building to evacuate a person trapped inside a flat on the top floor.
The explosion happened at a barbers and phone shop on King Street in Ealing around 6.20am this morning.
A man has been left injured and a child was rescued after a suspected gas explosion ripped through a shop in Ealing, west London
London Fire Brigade confirmed they had rescued four adults and a child from the wreckage.
A further two children and 16 residents were also evacuated from the scene.
The owner of the mobile phone shop Jatinder Singh, 36, was given the devastating news by a neighbour before heading to the scene.
He said Dr Phone was completely destroyed by the explosion and said he was shocked to see the caranage on arrival.
‘It’s an absolute mess,’ Mr Singh told the Standard.
‘I’m not sure what happened, I’m in shock. My landlord is in there now looking he is in shock too. I don’t know if anyone was hurt or who was living upstairs. There is too much I have lost in there.’
He added: ‘I locked up my shop as usual last night and didn’t think anything was wrong. Then I got a phone call from a neighbour to get down here that my shop was totally destroyed.
‘I’m ok, I’m not hurt. The police have a special dog team and are keeping everyone away.’
Fire investigation officers have cordoned off the King Street area as they start to piece together what happened.
The explosion happened at a barbers and phone shop on King Street in Ealing around 6.20am this morning
A local business owner said: ‘There was a huge bang like an explosion. My shop shook. We hear there are injuries… it’s a shock to us all.’
Another said: ‘We have been told a gas canister exploded. There are police and firefighters everywhere. We are hoping everyone we know there is ok. It’s a very close knit community.’
As they carried out their investigation, the London Fire Brigade explained there has been a structural collapse of the building which involved a shop with flats above.
The London Fire Brigade explained there had been a structural collapse of the building which involved a shop with flats above
Station Commander Alan Brand, who is at the scene said: ‘Four adults and one child were rescued at the rear of the property by firefighters using a ladder.
‘A further fourteen adults and two children self evacuated from surrounding properties. Specialist crews are searching the building for anyone else that may be involved.
‘This is an on going operation and I would ask that people avoid the area if possible.’
Around 40 firefighters Southall, Hayes, Heston, Ealing and Feltham fire stations are at the scene.
Some 40 firefighters from Southall, Hayes, Heston, Ealing and Feltham fire stations rushed to the scene
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said they were not treating the explosion as suspicious.
He added: ‘A large explosion was found to have taken place inside a shop. One man was found injured. Road closures have been put in place and nearby residents have been evacuated.’
‘At this early stage, it is believed to be a gas explosion and is not being treated as suspicious.’