Struggling café owner offers a $5,000 reward for anyone who takes a job after complaining that 50 people applied and refused to take the position purely so they could keep getting Centrelink benefits
- A struggling Melbourne cafe owner is now offering a $5,000 reward for workers
- Match & Co Cafe’s Adrian Rigotto said business has been a ‘big flop’ due to Covid
- He said he can’t find workers as they would rather receive government payments
A struggling Melbourne business owner is offering a $5,000 reward for someone to take a job in his cafe, as he claims people would rather receive benefits on the dole than go to work.
Match & Co Cafe owner Adrian Rigotto said business has been a ‘big flop’ following Melbourne’s 112-day coronavirus lockdown last year and the five-day shutdown last month.
‘It’s been disastrous. Not only here in the village, around the suburbs, but also in the city and it’s just heartbreaking,’ Mr Rigotto told Today on Wednesday morning.
‘We’re trying to pump as much love and effort into everything, but it’s just nothing.’
Match & Co Cafe owner Adrian Rigotto said business has been a ‘big flop’ following Melbourne’s 112-day coronavirus lockdown last year and the five-day shutdown last month
Mr Rigotto said he has struggled to find employees willing to work in his Dingley Village cafe – and he blames the government’s financial incentives for the lack of staff.
‘You can’t get staff in hospitality,’ Mr Rigotto said.
‘I’ve got ads up that say, ”Hey, my incentive to anyone who wants a job, I’ll give you five grand for a job”.
‘You know what they say to me on the first line, ”Hey, we don’t want your job. We’re doing this for Centrelink purposes only”.’
Mr Rigotto said he could email Premier Daniel Andrews and Prime Minister Scott Morrison the contact details of at least 50 applicants who are just after Centrelink payments.
‘I have got names, numbers, addresses of these people. They don’t want a job, they don’t want to work,’ he said.
Match & Co Cafe advertised for workers on Facebook as recently as Saturday
Unemployed workers will be given an extra $50 a fortnight from April once coronavirus supplements are scrapped.
The federal government is boosting the permanent base of the dole to $620.80 a fortnight. The increase works out to be an extra $3.57 a day.
Match & Co Cafe advertised for workers on Facebook as recently as Saturday.
‘We’re looking for experienced wait staff, baristas and cafe all-rounders,’ the Facebook post read.
‘Does this sound like you or someone you know? You could win $5,000 cash if you’re successful or forward a successful referral.’
Mr Rigotto said he has struggled to find employees willing to work in his Dingley Village cafe – and he blames the government’s financial incentives for the lack of staff
‘We can’t keep paying people to play Xbox’: Senator slams ‘dole bludgers’ as Scott Morrison refuses to increase ‘take it or leave it’ $25 a week JobSeeker boost
By Charlie Moore
A senator has accused unemployed people of ‘playing Xbox on the couch’ instead of wanting to work for a living.
Matt Canavan praised the government’s new rules for JobSeekers to make sure they accept a job if they are offered one.
‘There are people out there who are bludging on the dole. I don’t mind saying frankly. There are lots of people,’ the Nationals politician told ABC News.
‘We have seen them in the last year that people taking JobKeeper and JobSeeker and not taking work. Now, we can’t just keep doing that. We can’t keep paying people to sit on the couch and play the Xbox.’
Matt Canavan (pictured) has slammed ‘dole bludgers’ for playing Xbox instead of working for a living
Scott Morrison last Tuesday announced unemployed Australians will receive an extra $50 a fortnight when the coronavirus boost expires next month.
However, they will have to attend face-to-face appointments with officials, make 20 job searches a month and take a short training course or do work experience after six months on welfare.
Welfare groups and the Greens wanted a much greater increase to the dole – but the Prime Minister has ruled out a higher amount.
A source told the Sydney Morning Herald the $50 increase was a ‘take it or leave it’ offer. Labor has said they will not stand in the way of the increase.
Senator Canavan said he supported the increase, which will cost $9billion over four years, but resisted any higher payment to avoid the government getting into more debt.
As part of the welfare reforms, the government will also set up a hotline for employers to dob in someone who rejects a job they are qualified for.
‘Every person we get back into a job means a lower cost to the taxpayer. That’s why the mutual obligation is so important,’ Mr Morrison said.
The new rate, which will kick in when the $150 JobSeeker supplement runs out at the end of March, will provide an extra $3.57 a day.
The increase lifts JobSeeker to 41.2 per cent of the national minimum wage and will cost $9billion over four years.
Pictured: People are seen in Centrelink queues in Gold Coast back in April 2020
Mr Rigotto choked back tears as he appeared on the Today show back in October.
He said he had not served a customer for nine months and the state’s crippling lockdown had been incredibly ‘tough’.
‘And not only here in Melbourne but all over Victoria. You know, we don’t feel there is any confidence in the government, his contact tracing, everything is breaking down,’ he said at the time.
Mr Rigotto said he had been waiting nine months to reopen his cafe and has 25 full time and casual staff on his payroll.
‘You don’t understand, I’m only a small little fish,’ he said.
Mr Rigotto choked back tears as he appeared on Today back in October (pictured)
REVEALED: The industry desperate to pay Aussies up to $12,000 for six weeks’ work – and you don’t need ANY experience to get the job
By Charlie Coe
Jobless Australians have been offered thousands of dollars to fill fruit picking jobs following the exodus of foreign backpackers due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Victorian government has launched a scheme offering Australian job seekers $6,000 in relocation expenses if they are willing to take up short-term positions in the state’s agricultural sector.
When combined with pay from their employer, pickers could earn $12,000 for just six weeks of work.
Australia’s seasonal workforce has been decimated by the ban on international travel – with a recent Ernst and Young report warning the horticulture industry faces a shortage of 26,000 workers over the summer.
But industry leaders say no experience is needed for basic roles like picking, packing, thinning and pruning.
The Victorian government has launched a relocation scheme offering Australian job seekers $6,000 if they are willing to take up short-term positions in the state’s agricultural sector Pictured: Workers pack punnets of strawberries at the Ashbern strawberry farm on the Sunshine Coast
International workers can apply for up to $2,000 as part of the Government Relocation Assistance program.
The latest award rates for the horticultural industry mean workers earn a fixed minimum age of $24.80 an hour – and even more if they are paid by the amount of fruit they pick.
If paid by the bin workers can earn as much as $200 a day, which would work out at $6,000 over the course of six weeks.