Melburnians will continue to be able to eat and drink on the street as city extends its outdoor dining plan after lockdown ended across Victoria
- City of Melbourne council extended the outdoor dining program until June 30
- Close to 1,500 permits have been given to venues to setup outdoor dining spots
- More than 200 ‘parklets’ were installed, which are spaces set up in car spots
- Lord Mayor Sally Capp said the move was vital to helping businesses survive
Melburnians will be able to dine and drink on the streets until the end of June as the city extends its outdoor dining program.
Close to 1,500 permits were given to venues for outdoor dining areas and more than 200 ‘parklets’ – which are seating areas setup in car spaces – have been installed.
Lord Mayor Sally Capp said the council would directly contact each business to give them the option to extend their outdoor dining permits.
Melburnians will be able to dine and drink on the streets until the end of June as the city extends its outdoor dining program
‘The latest lockdown has already had a major impact on our business community – particularly the hospitality industry – so we’re doing everything we can to provide certainty for businesses once we emerge from lockdown,’ she said.
‘The outdoor dining program has helped bring back the buzz by attracting patrons from across Melbourne and the regions.’
A survey last month found the plan helped 81 per cent of venues reopen, giving them ways to offset the number of patrons allowed inside.
Ms Capp said as the city’s weather get cooler and wetter, additional features would be added to outdoor venues.
‘The extended outdoor dining program has helped to provide hospitality businesses with extra capacity to seat more customers and get more revenue,’ the lord mayor said.
‘Businesses can have confidence that outdoor dining will continue in the City of Melbourne until winter. We’re looking into additional features to support outdoor dining during the cooler months such as weather protection.’
Businesses across the Victorian city relied heavily on outdoor seating areas during Covid-19 restrictions (pictured in Brunswick)
Victoria was freed from its brutal five-day snap Stage Four lockdown on Thursday after outbreak at the Holiday Inn quarantine hotel at Melbourne Airport was contained.
The stay-at-home order, only allowing people to leave home for essential work, shopping, care and exercise, was repealed along with the 5km travel rule.
Face masks will still be mandatory indoor and outdoors if social distancing cannot be followed, and Victorians will only be allowed to have five guests in their houses.
Shops, bars, pubs and restaurants can also reopen on Thursday and 20 people can gather outside.
Victoria’s five-day coronavirus lockdown ended at 11.59pm on Wednesday – but some restrictions will remain (pictured, a picnic in a Melbourne park pre-lockdown)
Schools will reopen on Thursday after shutting down for three days, while visits to hospitals and care facilities will be limited to one household with a per day as restrictions ease.
Retail, hospitality and religious gatherings will be able to resume with the same density limits that were in place before the lockdown.
There are no limits on numbers for funerals and weddings but the gatherings must follow the venue’s density limits indoors and outdoors.
Sport and recreation will also be able to begin again with density quotas in place.
NEW RULES FOR VICTORIA FROM WEDNESDAY AT 11.59PM
Victoria’s five day ‘circuit breaker’ lockdown finished at 11:59pm on Wednesday, here are the new rules:
– Masks still mandatory indoors and outdoors if you can’t socially distance
– Only five people allowed round to homes until Friday February 26
– Maximum 20 people at outdoor gatherings
– 5km rule scrapped – meaning Victorians can travel all over the state
– No limits on funeral numbers and weddings can resume with capacity limits
– Schools can reopen
– Retail and hospitality – including pubs and restaurants – can also reopen, but with one person per four square metres