Mother of two-year-old who died ‘after swallowing Toilet Duck capsule’ urges parents ‘to think very carefully’ before buying cleaning products as she tells of ‘catastrophic’ impact of her death
- Hampshire mum Lucy Cook’s daughter, Arietta-Grace Barnett, died in July 2019
- Her death is feared to have been caused by swallowing a toilet freshener capsule
- Coroner in Winchester heard how the detergent may have caused fatal injuries
- Ms Cook has since warned parents about the dangers of cleaning products
- The devastated family of the two-year-old called their loss ‘catastrophic’
A heartbroken mum has warned parents of the dangers of cleaning products after her daughter is feared to have died after swallowing a toilet freshener capsule.
Toddler Arietta-Grace Barnett died after she was thought to have ingested a Toilet Duck product – believed to be the first case of its type in the world.
The two-year-old was described as ‘very funny’ and ‘really cheeky’ by her devastated family, who called their loss ‘catastrophic’.
An inquest in Winchester ruled the death in July 2019 as accidental, with a surgeon stating that the detergent may have caused fatal injuries.
Two-year-old Arietta-Grace Barnett, from Sarisbury Green, near Southampton, Hampshire, is feared to have died after ‘ingesting a Toilet Duck product’
Mum Lucy Cook, from Sarisbury Green, near Southampton in Hampshire, has now issued a warning to other parents following the hearing.
She called on other mums and dads to ‘pause’ before buying certain cleaning products and consider the dangers.
Lucy said: ‘While we welcome the further investigations the coroner is doing into the Toilet Duck product, we would urge parents to think very carefully before buying these and products similar to them.
‘While we understand the link between them and Arietta-Grace’s death is yet to be definitively proven, we feel the evidence currently available is enough to give parents pause before buying these types of products.
Mother Lucy Cook is warning other parents about the dangers of buying cleaning products after her two-year-old daughter died last year
‘If your child does manage to get hold of a product such as this to make the hospital staff aware of Arietta-Grace so they are less likely to confuse any symptoms your child may present with as an infection as happened in Arietta-Grace’s case.’
Little Arietta-Grace was playing with her four-year-old sister at her home when she ingested a capsule of Toilet Duck bleach.
No one saw her swallow the detergent but her mother Lucy said she had been playing with the dispenser of the toilet bleach as there was a ‘bit gouged out of it’.
She was taken to hospital after she began throwing up ‘bright pink vomit’ on June 28, 2019 before being discharged on July 2.
Paramedics rushed the toddler to Southampton General Hospital on June 28 following a report of ‘accidental poisoning’ before she was discharged with the diagnosis of potential gastroenteritis on July 2.
A court heard that a hospital surgeon googled the list of ingredients in toilet bleach before deciding it was not toxic to the two-year-old girl.
Arietta-Grace’s parents Lucy Barnett and Scott Barnett called their loss ‘catastrophic’
However, 11 days later, Arietta-Grace suffered a nose bleed at home before vomiting blood and was again rushed by paramedics to the emergency unit at Southampton General Hospital, where she tragically died.
It was said at the inquest at Winchester Coroners Court, Hampshire, that if the chemical had caused significant injuries to Arietta-Grace, it was the ‘first time it has happened in the world’.
But the link was not proven and the coroner called for further investigation.
A spokeswoman for SC Johnson, which makes the toilet cleaning product, said following the inquest: ‘This is heartbreaking, and our thoughts are with the family.
‘As it remains unclear exactly what caused this tragedy, we are unable to provide further comment at this time.’