En the present NBA player salaries are skyrocketing than ever. The multimillionaire agreements with televisions (now working on a new deal for nine years and 75 billion) have been allowing to extend the salary limit and the pocket of the players appreciates it. Today a triples specialist can earn $ 20 million per year. There is money for everyone.
Looking back that would have been Michael Jordan’s median salary for his first 10 seasons in the NBA. He was one of the ‘culprits’ that the League resized commercially, exponentially multiplying your income, which resulted in a progressive increase in salaries of the players, today most of them give millionaires ..
Curry and Antetokounmpo, 50 million a year
And Jordan would have played in the current era would have won more than players like Giannis Antetokounmpo and Stephen Curry, who recently signed a contract extension by which they will charge 50 million a year. Could Jordan have earned more than they?
You can know roughly looking at the original salaries that Jordan received during his career and applying the Consumer Price Index from the statistics of the United States Office of Labor. Looking at the comparison, it can be concluded that Jordan would have won as much or more than the current superstars .
In fact, in the 1997-98 season earned his maximum salary as a player with the Bulls, 33,140,000 million of dollars, what transferred to the present will be equivalent to 55,200.00 million dollars, more than the best in the NBA earn today. To put it in perspective, in 1998 Patrick Ewing received a little over 20 million, while Horace Grant was the third highest paid player in the league with 14 million.
Breakdown of Michael Jordan’s annual salary over his 16 NBA career seasons by applying the CPI to him
- 1984-1985 Original Salary: $ 550,000 Today would be: 1,450,933
- 1985-1986 Original Salary: $ 630,000 Today would be: 1,601,739
- 1986-1987 Original Salary: $ 737,500 Today would be: 1,842,517
- 1987-1988 Original Salary: $ 845,000 Today would be: 2,036,688
- 1988-1989 Original Salary: $ 2,000,000 Today would be: 4,636,728
- 1989-1990 Original Salary: $ 2,250,000 Today will be: 4,959,917
- 1990-1991 Original Salary: $ 2,500,000 Today would be: 5,264,953
- 1991-1992 Original Salary: $ 3,250,000 Today would be: 6,537,416
- 1992-1993 Original Salary: $ 4,000,000 Today will be: 7,805,049
- 1993-1994 Original Salary: $ 4,000,000 Today would be: 7,578,033
- 1994-1995 Original Salary: $ 3,850,000 Today will be: 7,116,438
- 1995-1996 Original Salary: $ 3,850,000 Today would be: 6,906,445
- 1996-1997 Original Salary: $ 30,140,000 Today would be: $ 50,200,000
- 1997-1998 Original Salary: $ 33,140,000 Today would be: $ 55,200,000
- 2001-2002 Original salary: $ 1,000,000 Today would be: 1,536,000
- 2002-2003 Original Salary: $ 1,536,893 Today would be: $ 1,566,281