UNICEF ambassador Paul Casey performs U-turn to join star-studded field for the the Saudi Invitational next February… despite claiming the event ‘doesn’t sit well with me’ last year
- Paul Casey had voiced his objection to the Saudi Invitational in 2019
- He said that it would be ‘hypocritical’ to accept an appearance fee to play
- Casey will join a star-studded field for the third edition next February
Paul Casey was among the most vocal objectors when the inaugural Saudi Invitational was staged in 2019, proclaiming the event ‘doesn’t sit well with me’ and that it would be ‘hypocritical’ to accept an appearance fee to play.
Imagine the astonishment, therefore, to find the Englishman’s name confirmed among a star-studded field for the third edition next February, headlined by Masters champion Dustin Johnson and US Open winner Bryson DeChambeau.
Funnily enough, UNICEF ambassador Casey was keeping a low profile on Thursday.
Paul Casey (above) has been confirmed among the field to take part in the Saudi Invitational
That wasn’t the case two years ago.
‘Signing a deal to go there and play, I’d be a hypocrite if I did that,’ he said then.
Now, in an extraordinary U-turn, he will be part of arguably the strongest field ever assembled for an event in the Middle East — including Open champion Shane Lowry, Tommy Fleetwood, Patrick Reed, Phil Mickelson, Ian Poulter and Justin Rose.
Saudi Invitational is headlined by Masters champion Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau