The 58-year-old asked royal biographer Gyles Brandreth whether it was time for the Sussexes to ‘shut up’ because they have ‘made their point’ and can now ‘return to their quiet life in America’.
His question comes after the couple tipped off a sympathetic journalist who made public their continuing war with the Royal Family – despite the Queen’s hopes that a palace investigation into their Oprah claims would be ‘deal with privately’.
Schofield went on to comment on how the couple had complained to US TV host Gayle King that senior royals are still yet to speak to Meghan following the bombshell Oprah interview.
King revealed today that she had spoken to Meghan and Harry over the weekend, and claimed they were ‘upset’ that the palace were saying they wanted to sort things out privately while ‘disparaging’ stories were still being published about Meghan.
Harry and Meghan prompted fresh outrage after sharing private conversations with Prince Charles and Prince William with US journalist Gayle King
‘No one in the royal family has talked to Meghan yet at this particular time,’ King had told CBS.
‘They both want to move forward with this and they both want healing in this family. At the end of the day, that’s Harry’s family.’
Discussing King’s claims with panellists Beverley Turner and Gyles Brandreth, Schofield said: ‘There’s been an enormous amount of sympathy over the race issue and the mental health issue… but looking at the polls that sympathy seems to be ebbing away.
‘Isn’t there this feeling Gyles, that you’ve made your point, essentially shut up now and get on with your quiet American life, you’ve stabbed a knife through the heart of the monarchy… but stop now.’
It came as Meghan and Harry’s friend today launched a fresh attack on Buckingham Palace amid the growing row over the couple’s decision to tell King about their ‘unproductive’ peace talks with the Royal Family.
Omid Scobie accused the media and Royal aides of double standards after it was reported that the Palace is believed to be unhappy with the couple’s decision to reveal the details of the private talks with William and Charles.
He claimed he was ‘confused’ by criticism of the couple and claimed a ‘new royal protocol’ had been concocted after the Palace said it would not provide ‘running commentary on private conversations’.
Philip Schofield released his pent-up frustration during a segment about how the couple this morning
Buckingham Palace has issued one statement on the Sussexes about the Oprah interview, on Tuesday last week, which said that ‘some recollections may vary’ but the claims raised would be ‘addressed by the family privately’.
Royal sources have since said the palace will not ‘giving a running commentary on private conversations’, but there has been no briefing from palace sources since the initial statement was made on the Queen’s behalf.
Prince William’s wife Kate put on a brave face while driving in west London this morning amid more turmoil caused by her brother-in-law and sister-in-law’s interview watched by tens of millions around the globe.
The Sussexes had insisted that their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey would be their ‘final word’ on royal affairs – but warfare erupted again after the couple told CBS This Morning host Gayle that Harry had finally spoken to his father and brother.
Hours later, Miss King disclosed on American TV that the talks ‘were not productive’. The breakfast show host also suggested that Meghan was unhappy no one in the Royal Family had thought to telephone her.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge driving in West London today as it emerged that Prince Harry has spoken to his brother William and father Charles
And, in a thinly-veiled threat, the presenter said the duchess had ‘documents to back up everything she said on Oprah’s interview’, just as the Queen was seeing her husband Prince Philip for the first time in a month after he was released from hospital.
Omid Scobie, co-author of the Sussexes biography Finding Freedom and a close ally of the couple, said today he was ‘confused’ by the criticism they have received as their friends again came out to back them as royal insiders accused Harry and Meghan of a betrayal of trust.
Mr Scobie tweeted: ‘Bit confused here, so just want to get this new royal protocol correct. It’s okay when info is leaked to the papers via a palace source but not when Gayle King shares it on TV? Righty-ho then’.
But critics have accused the Sussexes of double standards, with one replying to Mr Scobie’s tweet: ‘The point is that private phone calls are openly discussed with personal media friends. This is the very reason Meghan cut off her family’. Another wrote: ‘Omid – I don’t think it was a very clever savvy move to disclose something like this via Gayle King. It’s a poor move which benefits no one’.
Omid Scobie, a journalist friend of the couple, defended their decision to brief another ally in the media about talks with Harry’s family
Gayle King, who attended Meghan’s baby shower in New York in 2019 and is Miss Winfrey’s closest friend, decided to speak out on her prime-time morning show on CBS, the same channel that broadcast the Oprah interview.
The fact the Sussexes chose to reveal sensitive discussions between senior members of the Royal Family met with an icy response from Buckingham Palace.
‘None of the households – the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – will be giving a running commentary on private conversations,’ said a senior royal source.
It was clear, however, that both the Windsors and senior officials see it as a severe betrayal of trust and unhelpful to attempts to rebuild bridges.
HOW GAYLE STIRRED UP A STORM
‘Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too. The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive but they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.
What is still upsetting to them is that the Palace keeps saying they want to work it out privately, but yet they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan still.
No one in the Royal Family has talked to Meghan yet at this particular time.
It’s frustrating for them to see that it’s a racial conversation about the Royal Family when all they wanted all along was for the royals to intervene and tell the Press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant.
They both want to move forward with this and they both want healing in this family. At the end of the day, that is Harry’s family.
Meghan has documents to back up everything that she said on Oprah’s interview. Everything.
Anyone who’s worked with her [Meghan] will tell you exactly who she is, she’s really a sweet caring person.
No one has acknowledged ‘Houston, we have a problem here’. That’s really all they [Harry and Meghan] want. They want a conversation.’
Prince William, when he was questioned by a TV reporter on a public engagement last Thursday, said he had not yet spoken to his younger brother, but vowed he would.
He also insisted the Royal Family were not racists after Meghan claimed one member had raised ‘concerns’ about ‘how dark’ her baby’s skin would be, and suggested there was an attempt to deprive Archie of a title and security because he was of mixed race.
The duchess also said she had been given so little support by the Palace that she suffered suicidal thoughts.
Harry said he felt ‘really let down’ by his father, accused him of cutting him off financially and refusing to take his calls, while also revealing the gulf with William.
The Queen responded to the Oprah interview with a deeply personal message saying that while ‘some recollections vary’, the issues raised, particularly that of race, were ‘concerning’ and would be taken seriously.
Significantly, however, she emphasised that from now on the difficulties would be addressed by the family privately.
There have been a handful of stories published in the UK media reporting that Charles and William felt hurt by what Harry had said, but with very little detail on what was taking place behind the scenes.
Mirror royal editor Russell Mysrs today predicted that Meghan will release her diaries charting her time at Kensington Palace – or agree to a tell-all doc on Netflix – ‘if they don’t get their own way’.
He said: ‘They’ve already pressed the nuclear button by going on Oprah, haven’t they? this has been long rumoured Meghan had this lifestyle blog the Tig before she was a royal which was very popular
‘And she is known to have kept a diary during her time within in the royal family this would be bombshell stuff if she was to go and release it, I’ve already said that if they don’t get their way if they’re not satisfied with the conversations taking place in house
‘Then it could be a situation where they will be releasing diaries, releasing a tell-all documentary on Netflix nothing is off-limits at the moment and we’re talking about every twist and turn at the moment’.
Prince William is pictured driving outside Kensington Palace in London on Tuesday, after it was revealed he had spoken with Harry over the weekend
How Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview has caused a royal crisis
- February 15 – It is confirmed Harry and Meghan will be interviewed by Oprah Winfrey on CBS in March, in which they will discuss Megxit and other issues.
- February 16 – Harry’s grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh is admitted to hospital in London
- February 19 – Harry and Meghan are stripped of their prestigious patronages as the couple confirmed Megxit has become permanent.
- February 26 – Harry says the ‘toxic’ atmosphere created by the British press forced him and his family to leave the UK, in an interview with James Corden
- March 1 – A preview clip of the Oprah interview shows Harry saying his biggest fear is that ‘history would repeat itself’ in a reference to his mother’s death, while the host is also seen asking Meghan if she was ‘silent or silenced’, but her answer is not revealed.
- March 3 – A spokesman for Meghan says she is ‘saddened’ by a report in The Times that she faced a bullying complaint while at Kensington Palace.
- March 7 – Meghan and Harry’s explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey airs in the US. The Sussexes laid bare their brief lives as a working royal couple, alleging a member of the family made a racist comment about their son, and how the duchess had suicidal thoughts but her approaches to the monarchy for help were turned down.
- March 8 – The fallout from the interview continues and the couple’s chat with Oprah airs in the UK on ITV.
- March 9 – Buckingham Palace issues a statement, saying the Queen is ‘saddened’ to hear the full extent of the challenges faced by the Sussexes and the issues raised around race are ‘concerning’.
- March 11 – Prince William insists the royal family are ‘not a racist family’ while visiting a school in London.
- March 16 – Gayle King reveals Harry has spoken to his brother Prince William and their father Prince Charles.
Harry was accused of ’embarrassing’ hypocrisy this week for speaking to CBS, which caused outrage in 2004 by showing a photograph of his mother dying in a 1997 car crash in Paris.
Miss King told viewers she had called Harry and Meghan at their £10million California home ‘over the weekend’ to discuss the fall-out from the interview and revealed they had told her details of their intimate conversations.
She said: ‘Well I’m not trying to break news, but I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it’s true, Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too.
‘The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.’
Miss King also claimed the couple were unhappy that ‘the Palace’ had allegedly been leaking what they believed were untrue stories to the media.
She added: ‘And I think what is still upsetting to them is the Palace keep saying they want to work it out privately, but yet, they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan, still.’
She made clear that the duchess was unhappy that no one in the family had called her. ‘No one in the Royal Family has talked to Meghan yet, at this particular time,’ she said.
The Sussexes effectively accused the Royal Family and Buckingham Palace of institutional racism in their interview with Miss Winfrey.
But Miss King claimed they felt ‘frustrated’ that much of the coverage had focused on this – when they had apparently wanted only to provoke the monarchy into taking action against the media, which they believe has a racist agenda against Meghan.
‘It’s frustrating for them to see that it’s a racial conversation about the Royal Family when all they wanted all along was for the royals to intervene and tell the Press to stop with the unfair, inaccurate, false stories that definitely have a racial slant,’ Miss King said.
‘And until you can acknowledge that, I think it’s going to be hard to move forward.’
She also raised the issue of the investigation launched earlier this month by Buckingham Palace into how claims of bullying against Meghan lodged by a senior member of staff were handled.
She said: ‘Anyone who has worked with her will tell you exactly who she is. You know, she’s really a very sweet, caring person.’
There was no immediate indication from the couple’s team of PR representatives – either in London or California – as to whether Miss King was speaking at their request.
Gayle King revealed Prince Harry had spoken to his father, Prince Charles, and his brother, Prince William, over the weekend, but talks did not help repair a rift within the royal family