The Duke of Sussex is said to have become ‘angry’ at losing military appointments in the wake of ‘Megxit’, and reportedly agreed to the tell-all interview less than 24 hours after hearing of the decision.
Appearing on Lorraine today, royal editor Russell Myers said that instead of pointing out ‘discrepancies’ about the royal titles of their son Archie, the duke, 36, would have benefitted more from addressing the issue of his military role directly.
He also said that there has been ‘limited contact’ between Harry and Prince William amid their ongoing rift, despite their upcoming reunion on July 1 to attend the unveiling of their mother’s statue.
Prince Harry should have told the Queen he was ‘aggrieved about losing his military titles’ rather than agreeing to his bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey, a royal editor has claimed
Her Majesty, pictured at Royal Ascot last week, stripped Harry of his military appointments in the wake of ‘Megxit’
‘I think sometimes decisions made in haste don’t end up being the best for everybody involved and we’re still seeing the fallout of this,’ said Myers.
‘My point is that if he felt aggrieved for having his military titles taken away from him, one might wonder if he he had a right to feel like that. He served his country with distinction, it was his favourite time of his whole life.
‘Rather than going on the interview and Meghan saying there was discrepancies about whether Archie and other children would be princes or princess – why didn’t he just say “I felt aggrieved for having my military titles removed”?’
Myers also claimed there has been just a ‘few text messages here and there’ between Prince William and Prince Harry, whose relationship is said to have been rocked by the Sussexes’ bombshell interviews.
Appearing on Lorraine today, Russell Myers said that instead of pointing out ‘discrepancies’ about the royal titles of their son Archie, the duke, 36, would have benefitted more from addressing the issue of his military role directly
‘This rift we’ve been talking about for so long, unfortunately it’s still there’, he said. ‘There is very limited contact between the two of them, I understand it’s been a few text messages here and there.
‘However this statue we’ve been talking about for so long, next Thursday, July 1st at Kensington Palace, the boys have been working on this since 2017, I understand they will be making separate speeches.
‘Hopefully it will be without an issue, because I think they’re very passionate about this and hope to stand on the same platform, they’re going to walk in together. ‘
He also questioned Harry’s decision to have his own journalist at the event after it was reported he wanted an approved reporter to work alongside him, rather than official royal rota of journalists.
What patronages did Harry lose and which does he have left?
Former soldier Harry, who served on the frontline in Afghanistan, is no longer the Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, or Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving following the announcement by Buckingham Palace in February.
He also had to relinquish his role as president of The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust. The duke is also no longer be patron of the Rugby Football Union and the Rugby Football League – roles which he took over from the Queen.
Harry is also no longer patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust. The role was on a three-year term, which was renewed twice, covering nine years. It came to an end in January, and it was decided it would not be renewed.
However, he retained the following private patronages or presidencies: African Parks, Dolen Cymru, the Henry van Straubenzee Memorial Fund, Invictus Games, MapAction, Rhino Conservation Botswana charity, Sentebale, and WellChild.
‘Another fly in the ointment, it was reported over the weekend Harry wants his own favourite journalist to cover the event, said Myers.
‘I don’t know why they are considering doing this. It just seems like another issue coming up, if everyone could just get along it would be much bette for everybody.’
The appearance comes after reports a ‘very cross’ Harry, 36, agreed to his Oprah interview after being stripped of his military titles.
Harry was stripped of his role as Captain-General of the Royal Marines – handed down to him by his grandfather Prince Philip, as part of the final deal for him to step back as a front line royal.
It was reported prior to the announcement of the final ‘Megxit’ deal in February that Prince Harry, who twice toured Afghanistan with the Army, had hoped to keep the titles.
A source told the Sun: ‘Harry and Meghan were very cross before Oprah because the final Megxit separation had just been signed off which included Harry not keeping military roles. That was what made him so angry. He’s very emotional and his military roles were very important to him given that he served.’
It has previously been suggested that the decision to do the interview came after the Duke and Duchess were reportedly told that their son Archie would not be made a prince when Prince Charles becomes king.
The fresh reports come as The Mail on Sunday yesterday revealed how Prince Charles is to ensure that his two-year-old grandson Archie will never be a Prince.
Charles has made it clear that Harry and Meghan’s son will have no place among frontline Royals as he plans a slimmed-down Monarchy after he becomes King.
The move has incensed the Sussexes and is thought to have prompted the series of accusations the couple have levelled at Charles and the Royal Family from across the Atlantic.
A grandchild of the sovereign has long had the right to be a Prince, but Charles is determined to limit the number of key Royals, believing the public does not wish to pay for an ever-expanding Monarchy.