Duchess of Cornwall says Prince Philip’s health is ‘slightly improving’ but his treatment ‘hurts’ and royal family are ‘keeping their fingers crossed’ as Duke remains at specialist cardiac centre in St Bartholomew’s
- Prince Philip was said to have improved but was in some pain at treatment
- The Queen will not be permitted to visit Prince Philip at St Bart’s in London
- She is being kept regularly updated about condition of her husband of 73 years
- It means that the royal couple will have been parted for at least three weeks
Prince Philip is ‘slightly improving’ in hospital but ‘hurts at moments’ due to his treatment, Camilla has revealed today.
The Duke today began his second full day at a specialist cardiac centre at St Bart’s after 14 days at nearby by King Edward VII hospital due to an infection.
Visiting a vaccination centre in Croydon the Duchess of Cornwall – his daughter-in-law – gave an update on his condition.
She said he was ‘slightly improving’ but the treatment ‘hurts at moments’ before adding everyone ‘keeps our fingers crossed’.
Details of the comments were revealed by broadcasters covering Camilla’s visit.
The Duchess donned a smart baby pink woolen jacket and long black suede boots for the occasion, taking full safety precautions with social distancing and a disposable face covering for today’s visit.
She styled her hair with its signature waves to complete the look and appeared to be wearing very subtle make-up.
Philip, 99, is currently receiving continuing treatment for an infection, as well as ‘testing and observation’ for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace has said.
A police officer carries a balloon and a get well message for the Duke of Edinburgh outside
The Queen is unlikely to be able to see Prince Philip (pictured together previously) until he leaves hospital due to Covid regulations
The update was revealed by Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, at St Paul’s Church in Croydon
Mounted officers from the City of London police outside St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London
ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship revealed details of the comments made by Camilla on Philip
The Queen, who is being kept regularly updated about her husband’s condition, will not be permitted to visit him at St Bart’s and is thought to be unlikely to see him until he leaves.
This is because visitors are currently excluded apart from a handful of ‘exceptional’ circumstances, including end of life.
She did not visit him at King Edward VII’s Hospital as she is always reluctant to cause disruption to any hospital’s vital work and knows her presence would place unnecessary pressure on staff at the best of times.
It means the Queen will have been parted from her husband of 73 years for at least three weeks.
St Bart’s said while they know it is difficult for patients and their families ‘our first duty is to the patients we serve, and to maintain their safety at all times we need to control visiting’.
The Queen, who is being kept regularly updated about her husband’s condition, will not be permitted to visit him at St Bart’s and is thought to be unlikely to see him until he leaves
Officers ride horses outside St Bartholomew’s Hospital, where Prince Philip is staying
It adds: ‘We are only allowing visitors in exceptional circumstances. We understand that having a family member in hospital is distressing, and we work closely with relatives and friends to ease their concerns and find alternative ways of keeping in touch.’
Buckingham Palace announced on Monday that Philip had been transferred to St Bart’s for continuing treatment for an infection, as well as ‘testing and observation’ for a pre-existing heart condition.
Although he remains comfortable and responding to treatment, they said, he will remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.
This is the longest amount of time he has spent in hospital since June 2013 when he had an exploratory operation on his abdomen.
Members of the Royal Family had recently been speaking out about his stay for treatment.
His son Prince Edward said last week Philip was ‘a lot better’ but ‘looking forward to getting out’ with the Royal Family were keeping their ‘fingers crossed’.
The Earl of Wessex was asked about his father by Sky News’ royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills, while she was filming a separate interview with him his Bagshot Park home in Surrey.
He replied: ‘He’s a lot better, thank you very much indeed, and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing, so we keep our fingers crossed.’