Two of R. Kelly‘s attorneys have requested to withdraw from the star’s counsel.
Mike Leonardo and Steven Greenberg confirmed to Fox News on Monday that they have asked a New York judge to allow them to step aside in the case.
In a letter obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times written by Greenberg to Judge Ann Donnelly, the Chicago-based attorney said that should the court deem it fit, he and Leonardo would stand “as effective stand-by counsel.”
“While we recognize that this request comes close to trial – and we are ready to proceed to trial as scheduled in August – our reasons for withdrawal are significant and it is impossible, in our belief, for us to be able to continue to properly represent Mr. Kelly under the current circumstances,” he said.
“The government was advised of our position and reasons in a phone call,” Greenberg continued. “We are requesting that the court set our request for hearing.”
“They are trying so hard to get #Rkelly that they are using a 60 year old law that has never been used before, against anyone,” he tweeted last week.
Kelly’s remaining attorneys – Thomas Farinella, Douglas Anton and Nicole Becker – all shared the same statement in response with Fox News: “The only comment we have at this time is that Mr. Kelly terminated both lawyers prior to filing their motion.”
Greenberg and Leonard, however, both told Fox News that they “were not” terminated by the R&B singer.