Welcome to the Season 2 Update Notes page of the official IGN Wiki Guide and Walkthrough for Sea of Thieves. If you’re looking for everything new this major update brought to the game, and the patch notes for it, this page has you covered.
|Xbox One X||5.1GB|
|Xbox Series S||3.65GB|
|Xbox Series X||5.1GB|
Season 2 Patch Notes
Below, you’ll find notes for everything added to the game with this update such as cosmetics, performance improvements, fixed issues, and more.
Seasonal Progression and Rewards
- Season Two is here, bringing new levels of progression alongside new rewards to earn. Crews are free to enjoy the game their way, playing through the Season on their terms, while a wealth of new features arriving in Season Two also add to the Season journey.
- Progressing through Season Two will reward pirates with the Lucky Hand clothing set, unique Season Two specials along with time-limited Ocean Deep collectibles.
- For those sneaky pirates looking to hide in plain sight, the new Barrel Disguise Emote can be earned early in the Season by progressing to level 13. Check those barrels, crew!
- Players who are already Pirate Legend, or earn this Title during the Season, will be able to unlock the Athena’s Might Cutlass and Shackled Phantom Hull.
- Completing each tier within the Season will award a unique Title that shows your success for all to see!
- The Season Two reward view has been redesigned, providing more clarity between rewards earned for free through regular Season play and those unlocked with the additional purchase of the Plunder Pass.
Season Two Trials
- Players looking to accelerate their progress through a Season should take on the Trials – themed sets of tasks known as Deeds that will test your adventuring, exploring and battling capabilities.
- Season Two contains a refreshed set of Trials for experienced pirates, incentivising the high-risk, high-reward nature of Emissary play, Fort of Fortune raiding, Lost Shipment recovery and Merchant trading. New players will benefit from a refined Maiden Voyage progression experience, bringing them gently into the world of Sea of Thieves.
Emissary Trade Routes
- As a Merchant Alliance Emissary, players can now purchase Commodity Crates from Merchant Alliance representatives and sell them at different Outposts for profit.
- A Merchant Inventory can now be found at each Outpost for players to reference which Commodity Crates are currently sought-after at each Outpost. Outpost supply and demand is constantly shifting, so check the Inventory each week for the latest on where these Commodities can be sold for profit!
- Using the Merchant Inventory to seek out sought-after stock and sell Commodity Crates for the highest profit also awards Renown to help you progress through the Season.
Trade Route Commendations
Trade Route Achievements
- A new Xbox and Steam achievement can be unlocked by progressing through the new in-game Commendations. A total of 20 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and this achievement will remain in the game indefinitely: Convenient Stores [20G]
New Emissary Ledger Rewards
- Each Season will now introduce additional Emissary Ledger rewards for all five Emissary Trading Companies. Additional rewards are queued up after any previously unearned Ledger rewards and include new Titles for all Tiers, along with new cosmetic rewards for the top two Tiers.
- Representing the Gold Hoarders well in their Ledger can now earn players the Tribute Peak Hull and Figurehead.
- Players seeking out the secrets of the Order of Souls can earn the Relic of Darkness Hull and Figurehead from their Ledger.
- The Merchant Alliance honour their high-performing Ledger representatives with the Merchant Ambassador Hull and Figurehead.
- Flying the flag of The Reaper’s Bones and earning a high rank in their Ledger can earn players the Masked Renegade Hull and Figurehead.
- Legendary pirates representing Athena’s Fortune in their Ledger can earn the Legendary Spirit Pistol and Cutlass to show their allegiance to the Pirate Lord.
- By browsing the Trading Company shops or reputation menu for the Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls, Merchant Alliance or The Reaper’s Bones, players can now summon an Emissary tutorial explaining the ins and outs of Emissary play.
- The purchasable Emissary Flag required to represent a Trading Company has been renamed to an Emissary Licence to reinforce its single purchase requirement.
Forts of Fortune
- The scarred Skull Cloud heralding a Fort of Fortune is a rare sight on the Sea of Thieves. When you hear the accompanying sound resonating across the seas, rally your crew to do battle for the fabled loot locked away inside its Vault.
- Forts of Fortune feature more challenging enemy waves, with Captains appearing more regularly. Defeated Captains drop the location of a useful item to use in the battle ahead, from ammo crates and kegs to Chests of Rage and the mighty Ashen Winds Skull. The final waves will pit crews against savage Skeleton Lords before they finally face up to an even fiercer foe.
Forts of Fortune Rewards
- The Vaults within Forts of Fortune are stocked with highly prized rewards to entice players to compete for the riches, in addition to awarding Renown to the triumphant crew.
- Crews can earn Athena’s Fortune reputation from the Chest of Legends, Kegs of Ancient Black Powder, Crates of Legendary Voyages, Villainous Skulls of Ancient Fortune and Gilded Relics of Ancient Fortune.
- Stronghold rewards are stacked with Stronghold Gunpowder Barrels, Stronghold Skulls and Stronghold Chests.
- A range of bountiful rewards complete the Vault offering with Crates of Ancient Bone Dust, Crates of Exquisite Spices, Captain’s Chests, Crates of Exotic Silks and Ruby Mermaid Gems.
- The Order of Souls reputation tab holds a new Commendation for crews storming a fabled Fort of Fortune.
Reapers vs. the World
- Across the seas, Emissary Flags are flying high and Reapers can be seen in pursuit of their precious cargo. This Event focuses on a specific Trading Company every fortnight, encouraging crews to side with their cause and support the Company – or choose the way of the Reapers and hunt them down.
- Every fortnight, a Mysterious Note informs crews of the Trading Company seeking to bolster their reputation. Check the Events menu to find a fresh batch of Deeds and take on the challenge. Completing these Deeds will allow players to earn Renown and cosmetic rewards such as the Gold Hoarders Lantern, Order of Souls Spyglass and Merchant Alliance Compass.
- For the blackhearted Reapers among you, this Event holds a special challenge. The Reaper’s Bones are keeping note of all Emissary Flags captured and returned to The Reaper’s Hideout, and will provide crews with a cosmetic reward depending on which Trading Company suffers the greatest losses.
- When this Event is over, the themed Trading Company rewards will still be obtainable from Outpost stores after completing certain Commendations.
- Unlock even more cosmetics in Season Two with Twitch Drops. Tune in to Partnered streamers to earn new additions to the Gilded Phoenix set, along with bonus emotes. Find out how to link your accounts and more on our Twitch Drops page.
- Starting this month, more cosmetics, currency and emotes are up for grabs in a series of time-limited packs for Prime Gaming members! Stay tuned to Sea of Thieves social channels to find out how to link your Amazon Prime account and claim the loot when it goes live soon.
Season Two Plunder Pass
- Season Two’s Plunder Pass offering has grown! Purchase this brand new Plunder Pass to add 11 extra rewards to the pool available to earn by climbing the levels of Seasonal progression, along with new Ancient Coin drops at each Tier.
- This Season’s Plunder Pass contains early access to the Black Phoenix Figurehead, Sails and Flag along with the Backflip and Popcorn emotes. These early access items will be available for individual purchase in the Pirate Emporium after the Season ends.
- The Plunder Pass also offers access to the Shrouded Ghost Hunter Costume and Blunderbuss, Cronch Cutlass, Elemental Power Hull, Paradise Garden Cannons and Witch Markings Makeup, all obtainable by progressing through Season Two.
- The Season Two Plunder Pass is available to purchase through the Pirate Log, Pirate Emporium, Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store.
Dark Warsmith Ship Collection
- Embellish your ship with the new Dark Warsmith Ship Collection, including a shining Collector’s Figurehead and devilish Collector’s Sails!
- A Dark Warsmith Essential Ship Bundle is also on offer, including the core ship cosmetics at a lower price.
Dark Warsmith Costume
- Become the Dark Warsmith from shadowy Sea of Thieves legend and strike dread into your foes with this new costume.
- While wearing this costume, players can perform the Evil Laugh Emote.
Dark Warsmith Weapons
- Previously included in the Season One Plunder Pass, the Dark Warsmith weapons are now available to purchase from the Pirate Emporium.
Silver Skull Sails
- Previously included in the Season One Plunder Pass, the Silver Skull Sails are now available to purchase from the Pirate Emporium.
Reaper’s Heart Dog
- Complete your loveable Reaper’s Heart pet set with the Reaper’s Heart Dog, a good pupper brought to life with dark magic.
Dagger Tricks Emote Bundle
- Impress your friends and show off your sharpened object handling skills with these four new emotes.
Freebie Thigh Slapper Emote
- Have a jolly ol’ time and dance away your woes with this free Thigh Slapper Emote.
Wars & Paws Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores, this bundle contains the Reaper’s Heart Dog and Dark Warsmith Costume complete with Evil Laugh Emote, along with 550 Ancient Coins and a 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
- The Outpost shipwrights, along with the clothing, equipment and weapon shops, now offer the Cultured Aristocrat set for purchase. Players must obtain the Curse of the Pacifist’s Demise Commendation to unlock access to this set.
- The Outpost clothing shops now stock the Regal Sovereign clothing set, available to purchase for gold.
- Previous rewards from the Vault Raiders Event have now been added to the Outpost shops.
- The Gold Hoarders Weapons can now be found in their respective stores, locked behind Commendations.
- The Merchant Alliance now offer pirates the ability to purchase resources directly from Outposts to stock their ships ahead of a long Voyage.
- Cannonball, Fruit and Wood Crates come filled to the brim and ready to be taken on board.
- Storage Crates are supplied empty, providing plenty of space for the resources of your choice.
- Crews are limited in how many Resource and Storage Crates can be purchased, and can only purchase one of each crate from any given Outpost in every three in-game days.
- When defeating Skeleton Captains across the Sea of Thieves, players can now find Gold Pouches left among the debris. These can be collected to award gold to your crew immediately.
- Skeleton Captains encountered during world events, while hunting bounties and even emergently can all now award Gold Pouches.
- The frequency of battles against Ashen Lords and Flameheart’s Ghost Fleet has now been reduced.
- Skeleton Forts will once again become the most frequently active world events, and their Vaults have been restocked with rewards for raiding crews.
- The likelihood of being targeted by the Kraken immediately after a previous world event has been reduced.
- After sinking Skeleton Fleets, the floating loot will have seagulls circling above it to help players find it more easily.
- When losing your ship and using a Mermaid to grant you a new vessel, your crew will now be placed at a greater distance from enemy ships on the seas.
- New accessibility options have been added to improve the legibility of text within the front end of the game.
- Selecting ‘Disable Centred Text’ within the Accessibility Settings will update the text on the front end buttons text to be left-aligned, while ‘Increase Line Spacing’ will update the front end button text with wider line spacing.
- When opening UI menus that overlap, the rear screen will now appear blurred to make the content easier to read.
- Placing treasure on a Rowboat and rowing away from your ship should no longer cause treasure items to become hidden.
- When receiving an invite from another player on Steam, the invite notification no longer displays the player’s gamertag, but can still be found on the invite menu.
- Dropping items on moving mechanisms, such as the skeleton cage in ‘The Art of the Trickster’ Tall Tale, should now cause the item to stay attached rather than floating in mid-air.
- When unlocking the trap door on the Maiden Voyage, players will no longer discover a stash of Doubloons hidden inside.
- Crew nameplate icons should now show when other players are attacked by another player or skeleton.
- When progressing through a Lost Shipments Voyage, if a shipwreck is unable to be created for any reason, Merchant Cargo will be surfaced alongside the Manifest out at sea to reward crews for their efforts.
- Clues discovered on Lost Shipments Voyages should no longer appear blank.
- Players should no longer be able to get stuck on the door or pushed up in the air and safe-teleported in certain areas.
- Corrected text issues in Glitterbeard Journals.
- Returning to the home location after having begun the sequence will no longer cause it to repeat.
- Standing on the small ledge on the side of the Galleon should no longer cause the player to launch into the water.
- Jumping into a set of barrels on a moving Galleon should no longer cause the player to appear outside the hull.
- Pushing into certain areas of the Brigantine hull while carrying objects should no longer cause the player to appear outside the hull.
- Players can no longer become stuck in the environment in the Pirate Legend Hideout and appear back in the sea.
- Players should no longer become stuck and safe-teleport under the terrain during the Maiden Voyage.
- Players should no longer be able to be launched up when diving against the pier on the Fort of the Damned.
- Players should no longer be prevented from interacting with emergent chests at Cannon Cove.
- Underwater vegetation should no longer be floating above terrain on Plunder Outpost.
- When moving around the Outposts, the glass on various compasses and pocket watches should no longer pop in and out.
- The Kraken Flag and the Inky Kraken Flag now have different iconography.
- Drowning air bubbles in water and superheated water should no longer be missing.
- Venomous Kraken items should no longer have missing translations for item titles in non-English languages.
- During the ‘Shores of Gold’ Tall Tale, the Gold Hoarder’s name should now appear correctly above his head during the final encounter.
- The Order of Souls Voyage named ‘A Petrifying Conflict with Vicious Vessels’ should no longer be misspelled.
- The prompt for Glitterbeard’s Journal in Glitterbeard’s Hideout should no longer be missing localisation.
- All pages of Glitterbeard’s Journal present in Glitterbeard’s Hideout should now be localised in all languages.
- Glitterbeard’s Beard should no longer be missing Vanity Chest localisation in non-English languages.
- The prompt for receiving Mysterious Notes should now be localised in non-English languages.
- Mysterious Notes should no longer contain any missing translation in non-English languages.
- Tall Tale Quest Books now have improved legibility with Japanese fonts.
- When reaching peak player concurrency, Season notifications for Renown actions and Trial progress should now display more consistently when performing the appropriate action.
- Players losing their external network connection and being disconnected should no longer experience a black screen when attempting to return to the game.
- Players disconnecting or being disconnected from their local network should no longer experience a Daffodilbeard error when attempting to return to the game.
- Further improvements made to server performance, reducing latency during gameplay.
- In areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While improvements continue to be delivered during our content updates, this continues to be a key priority for the team.