Six-year-old is rushed to hospital with ALCOHOL poisoning after swallowing 60mm of hand sanitiser – as parents are given a dire warning
- Child, six, from Western Australia taken to hospital after drinking 30-60mm
- Child has since recovered but suffered alcohol poisoning from the hand sanitiser
A six-year-old child has been rushed to hospital after swallowing up to 60mm of hand sanitiser.
The six-year-old has since recovered after the traumatic ordeal, Nine News reported.
It’s believed the child had drank between 30-60mm of the sanitiser.
Parents have now been issued a dire warning as hand sanitiser bottles are readily available at schools and childcare centres.
A six-year-old child has been rushed to hospital after swallowing up to 60mm of hand sanitiser (stock image)
Commissioner for Consumer Protection Lanie Chopping told the publication children can mistake the bottles for food or drinks.
‘With many households and schools now using hand sanitiser as part of their daily routines, it’s important to remember these products should be treated with extra caution around children,’ Ms Chopping said.
‘Most alcohol-based sanitisers contain upwards of 60 per cent alcohol content, meaning just a couple of mouthfuls can be enough to poison a child.’
Ms Chopping said poison centres across Australia has seen more cases relating to hand sanitiser, and urged parents to ensure their children were supervised when using the product.
More to come.