Covid patient, 69, dies after suffering horrific burns when defibrillator caught fire and caused EXPLOSION while staff at hospital attempted to resuscitate her
- Denise Asaro, 69, died at a hospital in Kingwood, Texas, on June 26 after defibrillator caught fire and caused explosion
- Asaro’s niece said her aunt suffered extensive burns to her entire upper torso
- Asaro was being treated for COVID-19, which claimed the life of her husband, David Asaro, 70, on Father’s Day
- Couple’s youngest son, Aaron Asaro, 47, died three weeks earlier; relative said he, too, had contracted COVID
- Parents and son were said to be among 10 family members who had fallen ill
- Police and HCA Houston Healthcare Kingwood are investigating Denise Asaro’s death
A Texas grandmother battling COVID-19 at a hospital died after suffering extensive burns from a defibrillator that burst into flames and exploded as medics were using the device to try and revive her.
Denise Jill Asaro, 69, drew her last breath at HCA Houston Healthcare in Kingwood on Saturday, less than a week after her husband, David Asaro, 70, succumbed to the coronavirus.
Less than three weeks prior, the couple lost their son, Aaron Asaro. He was 47.
Scroll down for video
COVID patient Denise Jill Asaro, 69 (right), died at a Texas hospital after a defibrillator caught fire and caused an explosion. Her husband, David (left), succumbed to COVID just days prior
The fire and blast took place at HCA Houston Healthcare Kingwood on Saturday
According to a Facebook post from Denise Asaro’s sister-in-law, the couple and their son were among 10 family members who had contracted the illness. All three were said to be unvaccinated.
Denise, a married mother-of-two and a grandmother, was being treated on the fifth floor of the North Tower at HCA Houston Healthcare Kingwood when she experienced a medical emergency requiring resuscitation.
Niece Kristi Robbins said her aunt suffered horrible burns to her entire upper torso
The defibrillator being used to revive the patient caught fire for an unknown reason, resulting in a small explosion.
Denise’s niece Kristi Robbins told ABC13 her aunt suffered horrific burns to her entire upper torso. She will be in a closed casket during her funeral service next month.
‘Who would ever expect your relative to be burnt to a crisp in a hospital,’ Robbins said.
Police have launched an investigation into the woman’s death. They are looking to determine whether a spark from the defibrillator ignited the oxygen in the room.
The hospital has released a statement, describing Denise Asaro’s death as ‘tragic.’
The couple’s youngest son, Aaron Asaro, 47 (pictured), died three weeks earlier; a relative said he, too, had contracted COVID
‘The hospital and its medical staff take this matter very seriously,’ the statement read. ‘We have begun an internal investigation and are working with local authorities to assist with their investigation. Our current focus is on supporting the family.’
An autopsy will be conducted to determine Denise Asaro’s cause of death.
The woman’s youngest son, Aaron, passed away on June 2. Her husband, David, died on Father’s Day.