The Block’s Darren Jolly has narrowly avoided being taken into police custody after failing to front court.
The ex-AFL player turned TV star, 38, was scheduled to front the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Monday over more domestic violence allegations.
A magistrate was about to issue a warrant for his arrest when a confused Jolly phoned in from a work site.
A dejected Darren Jolly fronted Ringwood Magistrates’ Court last month where he faced a swag of charges
The Block’s Darren Jolly previously shared a cryptic post about ‘narcissists’ and parenting – amid marriage breakdown and custody battle with ex Deanne
The Jollys were popular contestants on The Block back in happier times
‘Hang on, who is this?’ Jolly asked, before being told he was being live-streamed into a court room filled with journalists on a videolink.
‘What’s this over?’ he continued.
Jolly was told by Magistrate Pauline Spencer he faced two domestic violence charges dating back to separate days in February last year.
The court heard Jolly had been arrested by uniformed police from Camberwell – a swish suburb just east of Melbourne – and summonsed to appear at court.
Jolly claimed he knew absolutely nothing about the alleged arrest, the offences he had been charged with or his requirement to attend court.
‘Sorry what’s this over? What’s this for?’ he asked.
Jolly told Ms Spencer he was aware he faced allegations of domestic violence in a Ringwood court, but nothing of the latest charges.
‘I haven’t even been notified by the police. I haven’t even had any conversations, I’ve heard nothing,’ Jolly claimed.
‘Normally the police call you.’
Like the Ringwood matters, Jolly said he planned to represent himself in court over the latest allegations.
A startled Jolly said he did not even have a pen to write down the details of his latest charges.
‘I’m at work. I’m outside,’ he said.
Darren and Deanne Jolly were popular contestants on Channel Nine’s renovation series The Block, appearing twice in 2014 and 2015, and winning the latter season
Darren Jolly makes his way out of the Ringwood Magistrates’ Court where he faced 10 charges last month
Darren Jolly will contest a swag of charges related to domestic violence allegations
Ms Spencer directed Jolly to a court website where he could get the details of the officer who made the charges against him.
‘Sorry, okay, I’m still very confused,’ Jolly said. ‘Are you able to tell me what this is for?’
Ms Spencer refused to read Jolly a summary of the allegations, telling him only that the offence supposedly happened more than a year ago.
‘2020,’ Jolly snapped. ‘So over a year ago? So that’s a generic explanation. What’s the details of that?’
Again, he was told to contact the police informant.
‘Mr Jolly, I really don’t want to go into the details with you in open court,’ Ms Spencer said.
Confusing matters further, Jolly was told he faced another matter in the country town of Ballarat before it was ascertained the alleged offender was another Darren Jolly with a different middle name.
‘Are you sure you’re speaking to the right Darren Jolly?’ Jolly asked a police prosecutor.
Ms Spencer adjourned the latest matter to July 26 to allow Jolly to make some inquiries with police.
Jolly lashed out at police before being cut off by Ms Spencer.
‘I’m extremely disappointed that I’m hearing this right now,’ Jolly said.
‘I haven’t had any evidence of anything. You’re talking about something that’s over a year ago.’
Darren Jolly and his ex-wife Deanne in happier times.
Legal battle: The Block’s Darren Jolly has shared a troubling Instagram post about his family situation amid his bitter legal stoush and custody battle with estranged wife Deanne
Darren Jolly (right) was a top AFL footballer in the early 2000s
Ms Spencer told Jolly she had been trying to help him considering his confused state of mind.
‘I’m just trying to protect your interests Mr Jolly. I’m not trying to be difficult,’ she said.
Ms Spencer refused the media access to Jolly’s charge sheets given he had not yet seen them himself.
‘It would be fairly ordinary to release those charge sheets given that I’ve got no idea what they are,’ Jolly said.
‘I’m just amazed that I haven’t been sent anything for over a year relating to this matter.’
Last month, Daily Mail Australia revealed Jolly had attended court in Ringwood on domestic violence allegations.
On that day, Jolly said he planned to contest ‘most’ of the charges himself, because he could not afford a lawyer.
‘I do have a lawyer in Family Court proceedings that are continuing, but (in relation to these charges) I’ve opted not to have a lawyer because I can’t afford one anymore. I’ve spent too much money on them,’ he said at the time.
Darren Jolly appeared to know nothing about his latest domestic violence charges
Over: Darren and Deanne announced their split in September 2019 after 15 years of marriage
Jolly revealed on Instagram in October that he hadn’t been in contact with his two children since splitting from his wife, Deanne, in September 2019.
Fast forward to January and Jolly set off alarm bells when he shared a troubling Instagram post where he claimed he could not ‘go on much longer’.
He was found safe, with his new girlfriend later taking to Instagram herself to advise Jolly was ‘receiving the best care he needs right now.’
Darren and Deanne Jolly were popular contestants on Channel Nine’s renovation series The Block, appearing twice in 2014 and 2015, and winning the latter season.
Deanne appeared in court herself last week over multiple allegations of domestic violence.
Like her estranged partner, her matters were adjourned off to July.