(Trends Wide) — Miami prosecutors announced Wednesday that three people were arrested for the identity theft of victims of the Champlain Towers building collapse.
State Attorney Katherine Fernández Rundle said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon that there were seven victims in this case, five of whom died. At seven o’clock their identities were stolen and purchases were made after the collapse of the condo tower.
Rundle said the first complaint came on July 9 from a sister of one of the victims who died just 16 days after the collapse. The sister noticed that the postal address had changed and that cards had been sent to a new address. The sister also reported that purchases and bank transfers were made in the days prior to her complaint.
Rundle said the suspects stole at least $ 45,000 and attempted to steal another $ 67,000 before being detained.
The suspects face multiple charges each, including identity theft and an organized scheme to defraud. Based on the current charges, he said they face between 15 and 30 years in prison.
Bail of US $ 1 million has been set for whom Rundle called the “prime suspect,” while the other two are being held on bonds of US $ 500 and US $ 430 each.
No court records or arrests have been released at this time.
The investigation is ongoing, he said. Family members of other Surfside victims who suspect they are also victims of identity theft are encouraged to contact law enforcement.