‘Next week we will know what the position is’: Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder trilogy decision set to be announced says Frank Warren as the American boxer hopes for chance at redemption against the Gypsy King
- Tyson Fury convincingly beat Deontay Wilder in their second bout in February
- The Gypsy King walked away from a third fight against the Bronze Bomber
- Fury moved on from the trilogy to instead focus on facing Anthony Joshua
- The Bronze Bomber is still hopeful of a trilogy fight as he looks for revenge
- Frank Warren says an outcome to the dispute should be announced this week
Fury decided to walk away on the prospect of a third fight with the Bronze Bomber after their immediate rematch clause expired last month.
Wilder is desperate to get his shot at redemption against the Gypsy King however, and has initiated a mediation with a retired judge set to review his case.
Deontay Wilder is fighting to get a rematch to get his shot at redemption against Tyson Fury
Fury walked away from a trilogy bout against Wilder after the rematch clause expired
Frank Warren says a decision over the ongoing dispute should be announced next week
Fury’s promoter Warren has told BT Sport a decision is expected next week and that his fighter is desperate to return to the ring.
He said: ‘I think there will be next week as to what’s going on. Next week, we’ll know what the position is.
‘He’s been training very, very hard, and he just wants to get back in the ring so we’re trying hard to make that happen.’
A trilogy bout between the pair was set to go ahead in Las Vegas back in July, but this never came to fruition as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Warren said: ‘Unfortunately, because of the Covid and the finances for that particular fight, it wasn’t to be.
‘We tried to make it again, and we tried to work on it, but it expired. I think it’s well known now that there’s a hearing going on.
Warren says Fury is keen to return to the ring after his impressive win over Wilder in February
Fury had lined up two bouts against Anthony Joshua which would take place next year
‘Something will be done in the States, and some decision will be made in the next week or so.’
After walking away from a rematch with Wilder, Fury set his sights on an undisputed fight with Anthony Joshua, with two proposed matches next year.
Fury is even expected to face Agit Kabayel as a tune-up match on December 5 to prepare him for upcoming bouts against Joshua.
However the ongoing legal dispute with Wilder could delay any potential dream clash between Fury and Joshua.