Reuters KHALED ABDULLAH
The United Nations Children’s Fund “UNICEF” stated that the escalation of fighting in Yemen cast a dire shadow on the children this month, as the clashes resulted in the death of at least 8 of them and the injury of 33 others.
Today, Saturday, the representative of the organization in Yemen, Philip Dumail, said that the victims were killed in several areas, including the governorates of Taiz and Al-Hodeidah, where the intensity of the fighting between the internationally recognized Yemeni government forces supported by the Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the Houthi fighters supported by Iran, indicating that the number of The dead could be higher.
“We condemn in the strongest terms these attacks. Children and families often pay a heavy price for the intensification of the conflict around them,” Dumail added.
The UN official stated that some of the attacks targeted a school and hospital in Taiz, without indicating who was responsible for the attacks.
Dumail said that children were also wounded in attacks in other governorates, including the central governorate of Ma’rib, which the Houthis are trying to retake from government forces.
The Houthi attack on Marib is expected to displace at least 385,000 people, as 4 IDP camps have been evacuated in the governorate since the attack began earlier in February, according to the United Nations Migration Agency.
About 130,000 people, including more than 12,000 civilians, have been killed in the conflict that, according to the United Nations, has left the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in a country that is the poorest in the Arab world.
Source: “Associated Press” + agencies