cable- Secretary-General tried United nations António Guterres Stopping the bloody competition by creating conditions for internal interaction between Taliban And the armed opposition, and externally by reducing international and regional competition and opening the page for dealing with the Taliban that rules Afghanistan Since 2021.
Guterres seeks to find a permanent regional solution to achieve peace through a new road map for Afghanistan, and encourages the Taliban to accept a comprehensive government with ethnic diversity so that Afghan movements can participate in the political process. The importance of the map will become clearer when the reality of the Taliban and its hierarchical structure in practice is taken into account. Judgment.
During the past two years, the international community and the United Nations were unable to independently and accurately assess the situation in Afghanistan, so Guterres assigned the Turkish diplomat Feridun Hadi Sinirlioglu By writing a report on the security and political situation in the country.
Political researcher Hikmet Jalil told Al Jazeera Net, “Anointing Davutoglu confirms that the Secretary-General wants to see the hidden aspects of the current situation in the country. Davutoglu began his work by writing his report directly and visited Afghanistan more than once, and met with officials in the Afghan government and the former president.” Hamid KarzaiThe report will serve as a United Nations road map in the country.”
Davutoglu reportedly wanted to meet Taliban leader Sheikh Haibatullah AkhundzadehBut he rejected his request, and met with the Afghan Minister of Interior Sirajuddin Haqqani He called on him to remove the obstacles that lead to a rift in relations between Afghanistan and the international community.
Afghan affairs experts believe that the Turkish diplomat's report may be able to predict the future of Afghanistan, because it outlines the broad outlines of the United Nations, because the quality of the talks and the way of thinking of the main Taliban officials will undoubtedly be decisive regarding the future of the country.
Abdul Karim Khorram, director of the office of former Afghan President Hamid Karzai, told Al Jazeera Net, “I see that the new United Nations road map is positive and in the interest of Afghanistan, and the most important thing in it is integrating the country into the international community again, building relations with countries, and lifting sanctions on banks, but it must “There will be a greater role for Afghans.”
Davutoglu met with key officials in the Taliban movement and learned about their way of thinking. He also met opponents of the current government outside Afghanistan and listened to their concerns. The report can draw a road map on how the United Nations and the international community will interact with the Taliban in the future.
This report received broad reactions that can be classified into 3 types:
- The position of the Afghan government led by the Taliban.
- The position of the movements opposing the current Afghan government.
- Opinion of experts and those interested in Afghanistan issues.
The Taliban movement implicitly welcomed Davutoglu's report, with reservations about the provision of appointing a UN official for reconciliation affairs in Afghanistan. Taliban opponents explicitly criticized it, and considered it an attempt to whitewash the movement internationally and regionally.
But experts view the map as a step forward to better understand the current situation in Afghanistan. Its importance lies in several points that they consider important and essential, including:
- Guterres's attempt to establish the credibility of the United Nations as an independent organization that maintains world peace.
- His attempt to present his report according to the data on the ground and find an appropriate road map to resolve the Afghan crisis.
- His attempt to draw a road map to resolve the Afghan crisis internationally and regionally.
- His attempt to provide a context for the international community’s relationship with the Taliban in an encouraging and interactive way, and to encourage the movement to accept minimum international standards, respect human rights, reduce restrictions imposed on women, accept their social and educational rights, and make the world aware of the difficult situation and ideological stranglehold that the Taliban itself suffers from.
- His attempt is a warning Security Council To the gap that exists in the Taliban at the leadership level, as the Kandahar wing belongs to the hawks and the Kabul wing to the doves and is more realistic and ready to deal with the international community.
The points contained in the United Nations road map are:
- The United Nations attempt to classify the Afghan crisis as a regional problem.
- Providing aid to the Afghan people, and urging the international community to increase and continue it.
- Forming a comprehensive government.
- Drafting a new constitution.
- Starting a serious dialogue between the Afghan factions will lead to a political solution to the Afghan crisis.
- Laying the foundation for interaction with the international community and recognition of the Taliban.
Afghan affairs experts believe that the United Nations has been dealing with the Afghan issue for 45 years, but has failed to find a lasting peaceful solution in the country, and that the Afghan people know how the organization’s representative, “Binayn Siwan,” failed in negotiations. Geneva Following the withdrawal of Soviet forces from Afghanistan in 1989.
As the Afghan people know, “the failure of the previous envoy Al-Akhdar Al-Ibrahimi At a conference were“After the American forces invaded Afghanistan, and the adoption of solutions imported from abroad, which the Afghans did not benefit from during 4 decades of conflict in the country, because they were for the interests of others, not the Afghans.
The solution is internal
Says the leader of the Afghan Islamic Party Gulbuddin Hekmatyar To Al Jazeera Net, “Historical experiences have proven that the United Nations, in its current structure, cannot solve the Afghan crisis. It does not have what qualifies it to do so. It has not been able to solve a complex problem at the global level, and the Afghan crisis cannot be solved by negotiations outside the country.”
Hekmatyar stressed, “I see that the basic solution is for the Afghans to sit without preconditions at the negotiating table to resolve their crisis without the mediation of foreigners.”
In a statement, the Iranian Foreign Ministry called for giving a greater role to Afghan neighboring countries in bringing peace to the country, and presented Tehran Its map regarding the Afghan crisis and its most important items:
- The need to resolve the Afghan crisis through dialogue and open the way for Kabul to be integrated into the international community.
- Failure to resolve the Afghan crisis will have devastating effects on international peace and security, and the current Afghanistan cannot afford to accept a new failure.
- Afghanistan's gateway to the international community is its regional environment and neighbourhood, and the establishment of a regional contact group is an initial step to achieve desired results.
- Opening new files without resolving past issues will not solve the Afghan problem.
Afghan affairs experts believe that this map requires in-depth work and the approval of neighboring countriesChina AndRussiaand that Iran It cannot play a role alone in the Afghan file for many reasons, the most important of which is trust between the two countries.
A source in the Afghan Foreign Ministry explained to Al Jazeera Net that “the current government is dealing with caution with the road map announced by the United Nations, let alone Iran, and that Tehran is looking for a role for itself in the Afghan file, and in general supports the UN map, and is asking for a role for neighboring Afghan countries and nothing more, and it is not As comprehensive as the United Nations road map.”