A new group of wounded people and holders of foreign passports arrived – today, Monday – from Gaza strip to Rafah crossing The border with Egypt after a two-day pause, according to what an official on the Egyptian side of the crossing confirmed.
This official said, “Six ambulances arrived transporting the wounded to the Egyptian side, and a (medical) examination is now being conducted on them inside the crossing in order to transfer them to hospitals.”
He also confirmed “the beginning of the arrival of holders of dual nationalities to the Egyptian side of the crossing,” without specifying their number.
The Egyptian official added, “A first batch of 55 Egyptians stranded in Gaza is expected to arrive as part of today’s group.”
In a parallel context, the Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani – in contact with the Czech Foreign Minister Jan Libavski – stressed the necessity of concerted regional and international diplomatic efforts to reach an immediate ceasefire, and to permanently open the Rafah crossing to ensure the flow of relief convoys. And humanitarian aid to the Palestinians besieged in the Gaza Strip.
In turn, Lipavsky thanked Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdul Rahman for his efforts to secure the departure of dual nationals from the Gaza Strip.
The crossing was opened last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, to allow the evacuation of dozens of injured Palestinians and hundreds of foreign passport holders, before it was closed on Saturday and Sunday due to a dispute over the crossing of ambulances.
Government agencies in Gaza stipulated safe passage for ambulances to the Rafah crossing, after an Israeli bombing targeted an ambulance in Gaza City.
Government sources in Gaza said that the reopening of the crossing took place through Egyptian mediation, after obtaining Israeli approval.
For its part, Egypt said that it would help secure the evacuation of about 7,000 foreigners and dual nationals from the Gaza Strip.
It is noteworthy that the Rafah crossing was opened last Monday to allow the evacuation of foreigners and dual nationals stranded in the besieged Strip, which Israel has been bombing since last October 7.