Boxing great George Foreman says he ‘can’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury’ ahead of potential all-British heavyweight clash next year… and also backs Deontay Wilder to bounce back after defeat to the Gypsy King
- Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have a ‘financial agreement’ in place for 2021
- The two Brits are the two current holders of all the world heavyweight belts
- But George Foreman is backing the Gypsy King should the pair collide next year
- Foreman also insisted that Deontay Wilder can come back from his first defeat
The British pair earlier this year agreed a ‘two-fight financial package’ for bouts in 2021 and if both beat upcoming mandatory opponents, it would be for the undisputed heavyweight championship of the world.
Joshua faces Kubrat Pulev next week while Fury’s next opponent is yet to be confirmed – but should the Brits clash, two-time heavyweight champion Foreman is backing the Gypsy King to come out on top.
Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury look likely to lock horns in a huge fight at some point in 2021
But George Foreman is backing Fury to come out on top should the Brits face off next year
‘That boy Tyson Fury, you’re gonna have to bring everything you’ve got to beat him,’ Foreman told iFL TV.
‘And I’m going to be honest with you, I just cannot see Joshua beating him. But I sure would buy some tickets to see what would happen, I’m that curious about it.
‘But that Tyson Fury man, woah, Fury – I mean, how did he get the name?’
Foreman also backed Deontay Wilder to bounce back, following the first defeat of his career against Fury back in February.
‘He can come back and he can win again, easily. All fighters can.’
Foreman believes Deontay Wilder can bounce back after his defeat to Fury in February
Fury this week asked to be pulled out of the running for BBC Sports Personality of the Year, saying he has ‘no need for verification or awards.’
The WBC heavyweight world champion was named on the initial list of six on Tuesday after his extraordinary knockout win over Wilder earlier in the year.
But the 32-year-old, who faced a petition against his previous inclusion five years ago over a variety offensive remarks, took to social media on Wednesday to ask the BBC to ‘please take me off your list’.