Prince Charles will only wear a mask when Government advice dictates that he should do so – and is not expected to cover his face in his upcoming Exeter Cathedral visit
- Charles will only wear a face covering when Government advice tells him to
- Prince of Wales is not expected to wear a mask when he visits Exeter Cathedral
- Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall is known to dislike wearing a mask
Prince Charles will wear a mask only when Government advice dictates that he should do so, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
In a boost to the Government’s Freedom Day, the Prince is not expected to cover his face when he visits Exeter Cathedral tomorrow.
Charles is patron of a fundraising appeal at the cathedral and, for the first time in months, his trip has been made public in advance.
During the pandemic, visits have been kept secret to prevent crowds congregating.
Prince Charles will wear a mask only when Government advice dictates that he should do so
A Palace source said: ‘This will be the first time in 18 months that we are seeing a return to normality. We’ll be looking forwards, not backwards.
‘This is the first time the Prince has been to a location inside and won’t be wearing a mask because it’s a large area where people will be social distancing and it will be the first day of the new rules.
‘When the rules state that a mask should be worn, then the Prince will wear one but not otherwise.’
In a boost to the Government’s Freedom Day, the Prince is not expected to cover his face when he visits Exeter Cathedral tomorrow
The Duchess of Cornwall – who yesterday celebrated her 74th birthday – is known to dislike wearing a mask.
During a visit to the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff earlier this month, she told a student: ‘I can’t wait to get rid of this!’
l Uber will ask customers to continue to wear masks even after the legal requirement to do so is lifted.
The taxi app firm yesterday said: ‘The majority of our riders and drivers have told us that they would feel more comfortable riding with our No Mask, No Ride policy still in place.’
Coronavirus cases have jumped by more than two thirds in a week, official data revealed as experts warned infections will stay high for months and a new lockdown will be needed by September.
Department of Health bosses posted another 54,674 cases Saturday – an increase of 68 per cent on last week’s figure of 32,367 – breaching the 50,000 mark for only the second time since the darkest days of the last wave in January.
Meanwhile, Health Secretary Sajid Javid, 51, sparked fears of a Downing Street ‘pingdemic’ after revealing he had tested positive for the virus on Saturday morning.
Coronavirus cases have jumped by more than two thirds in a week, official data revealed as experts say infections will be high for months and new lockdown will be needed by September
Another 41 deaths were also recorded on Saturday, rising 20.6 per cent on the 34 seen last week.
Professor John Edmunds of SAGE said cases could reach 100,000 a day within weeks because the number of infections has so far been doubling every fortnight.
Jeremy Hunt, who is now chairman of the Commons Health and Social Care Committee, said the situation was ‘very serious’.
With just a day to go until Freedom Day, Britons flocked to beaches across the country with Bournemouth in Dorset and Barry Island in South Wales among those looking very busy on Saturday afternoon.
Meanwhile, the Government is right to take the Beta variant of the coronavirus spreading in France seriously because it may evade vaccines, Professor Edmunds warned.