How boy, 12, scrambled out of a bin he was sleeping in with two mates as it was emptied by a garbage truck and ‘banged on the window’ to alert the driver in tragedy that killed his mate, 13 – as cops say the trio WEREN’T homeless
- Three boys, 11, 12, and 13 fell asleep in an industrial bin near a McDonald’s
- The 13-year-old was critically injured and died when the garbage was collected
- Another boy managed to jump out of the bin and the third was not injured
A 12-year-old boy who scrambled out of a bin he was sleeping in with two friends, 11 and 13, as it was emptied by a garbage truck reportedly alerted the driver by banging on the window.
The children were inside the dumpster on Liverpool Street in Port Lincoln on South Australia’s west coast when it was routinely emptied at 5.20am on Tuesday.
Police say the 12-year-old managed to escape and starting hitting the window to stop the driver, but his two friends had already fallen into the truck.
Pictured: The scene where a boy died and another was seriously injured after they fell asleep in a bin, which was then collected by a garbage truck
Pictured: The scene where a boy died after he was found sleeping in a bin near a McDonald’s drive-thru with two others
The oldest child suffered extensive injuries and died on the scene, while the youngest was unharmed.
Police said the truck driver did not realise the children, who are from Port Lincoln, were in the bin at the time and that he was ‘extremely shaken by the incident’.
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
A spokeswoman for SafeWork SA told Daily Mail Australia that inspectors have attended the site and are making enquiries.
‘SafeWork SA offers condolences to his family, friends and colleagues at this distressing and sad time,’ she said.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted McDonald’s for comment.
The grizzly scene unfolded in Port Lincoln – a small coastal town west of Adelaide in South Australia
Port Lincoln Mayor Brad Flaherty described the accident as a tragedy.
‘It’s a terrible, terrible incident that will have an awful impact on the community as a whole and the families involved,’ he said in a statement.
‘Our heartfelt thoughts are with the families and community members affected.’
Staff and students at the local school the boy attended have been offered counselling in the wake of his death.
Rowena Fox, the education director for the Eyre Peninsula said the event had ‘deeply affected’ the school and community.
‘The immediate priority is arranging counselling and psychological support,’ she said.
‘Local schools are actively monitoring students and will arrange direct wellbeing support for individuals and in groups where necessary.
‘This is very upsetting news and children will likely process it in different ways.’
A spokesperson for Veolia Waste Management, the truck driver’s company, offered condolences to the boy’s loved ones.
‘While we are unable to comment further on the circumstances at present, we are working closely with the emergency services and a full investigation into the incident is underway,’ they said.