‘Are you guys doing nangs?’ Sheepish convenience store worker is caught inhaling from a balloon by a young woman searching for Zappo lollies
- Convenience store worker caught on camera inhaling from balloon on the job
- Woman posted video to TikTok showing worker and another man inhaling
- She asks the man if they’re doing nangs as the worker says his friend is not him
A convenience store worker has been caught inhaling a gas believed to be nitrous oxide from a balloon from behind the counter.
The confused woman asks the employee and another man sitting next to him: ‘are you guys doing nangs?’
The worker pauses for a moment before sheepishly replying: ‘Yeah, he’s doing nangs, I’m not doing nangs.’
A convenience store worker has been caught on video inhaling from a balloon while working behind the counter
The woman then asks if she can do a nang, to which the worker replies ‘yeah, but you have to come in’ pointing to behind the counter.
He then appears to indicate there are more people doing balloons behind the counter before asking the woman if she’ll pay for it.
‘I have to buy it?’ the woman asks. ‘Nah, I’ll just have this.’
‘Tell me you’re from Australia without actually telling me you’re from Australia,’ the woman captioned the video.
The woman then asks if she can do a nang, to which the worker replies ‘yeah, but you have to come in’ pointing to behind the counter
Commenters indicate the incident took place from a convenience store on Hindley Street in Adelaide’s CBD
Some social media users accused the woman of being a ‘Karen’ for exposing the worker for inhaling the gas – believed to be nitrous oxide – from the balloon.
The use of nitrous oxide isn’t illegal in Australia but it is an offence if it is sold for misuse.
The consequences of misusing the drug are very real, with symptoms including brain and nerve damage, heart problems, fainting, memory loss and psychosis.
Prolonged exposure to the gas can lead to memory loss and depletion of the vital bodily vitamin B12.
In South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales it is only an offence to sell nangs to someone reasonably believed to misuse them.
WHAT IS ‘NOS’?
Nos, also known as laughing gas or nangs, is a gas called nitrous oxide which people inhale to get high.
The drug is illegal for recreational use but is used by chefs to make whipped cream so is easy to buy.
People inhaling the drug usually do so by filling a balloon with it and breathing it in over the course of a minute or so.
The drug can produce a feeling of euphoria, lead to laughing or fits of giggles, cause hallucinations, and distort the sounds people hear.
Its effects are usually short-lived but it can cause much longer lasting health damage.
Because breathing it in essentially replaces the air you breathe with the drug, there is a risk of suffocation. People may also pass out because of the lack of oxygen.
Inhaling nitrous oxide can also lead to severe headaches, dizziness, paranoia or stop you being able to think straight.
It can also become addictive and, over time, lead to a vitamin B12 deficiency which can cause nerve damage in the hands and feet. Long-term use can also stop the body producing white blood cells effectively, damaging the immune system.