(CNN Spanish) –– The Mexican actor Pablo Lyle received a sentence of 5 years in prison and 8 years of probation this Friday for the involuntary manslaughter of Juan Ricardo Hernández, 63, during an altercation that occurred in Miami in 2019.
The actor must complete 500 hours of community service and attend several classes to control his temper, according to the sentence.
Marisa Tinkler Mendez, judge of the Miami-Dade County Circuit Court in Florida, read the sentence to Lyle, who in October 2022 had been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
The actor had the opportunity to speak and took the opportunity to apologize for what happened to the family of Juan Ricardo Hernández.
The defense asked the judge not to give him a harsh sentence for what he described as a three-second mistake in a life of 36 years without problems with the law. She also claimed that what happened was the product of instinct rather than a premeditated act. The lawyer representing Lyle had requested for his client a sentence of one year and one day, plus a period of probation.
The son of the victim, who bears the same name, spoke on behalf of the Hernández family, who was emphatic in saying that the family has waited four years for this moment in which justice will be done, and asked the judge to give Pablo Lyle the maximum possible sentence.
Before announcing the sentence, the judge pointed out that it has been one of the most difficult decisions she has had to make since she has worked in the Miami-Dade circuit. “Since October 4, this case has not left my mind … the result could not have been worse, that someone lost their life,” Judge Marisa Tinkler said. “No one here was satisfied, nor will they forget,” she added.
The judge stressed that this was an isolated act, that Pablo Lyle expressed regret, but that he also saw the side of the victim’s family, their pain, their testimonies from a human point of view, “This is punishment, and we are all judged by our actions and responses…it is time for Mr. Lyle to reflect.”
In October 2022, a jury found Lyle guilty on the charge of manslaughter. At that time, the state attorney, Katherine Fernandez Rundle, said when the verdict was announced that two lives were destroyed “due to a simple rage in a car incident,” something very common on the streets of the country, according to the statement issued in October.
More than two months later, in mid-December, Judge Marisa Tinkler Méndez denied the actor’s defense request for a new trial.
Lyle, 35, has maintained his innocence since the altercation with Hernandez in 2019, saying he acted in self-defense.
What happened and why was Pablo Lyle found guilty?
The events occurred on March 31, 2019 when Pablo Lyle was going to the Miami International Airport to take a flight to Mexico. That day, his brother-in-law was driving the car in which the actor was traveling, and made a U-turn, a fact that would have angered Juan Ricardo Hernández, 63, who was on the same avenue, according to a report. from the police.
At that moment, according to the police account, the 63-year-old man got out of his car and went to the window of the actor’s car and his family, hitting the glass, so both Lyle and his brother-in-law got out. argue. Then in the middle of the argument, Pablo Lyle punched Hernández in the face, who reportedly fell to the ground on the right side of his head and was knocked unconscious.
Lyle and his brother-in-law fled the scene of the fight and continued their journey to the airport.
Witnesses to the events identified the license plate of the vehicle and police officers located him at the airport hours later, arrested him and took him to testify.
Lyle confirmed that he had hit Hernández because, according to him, he feared for his safety and that of his family, and thought that initially he was going to attack him, so he immediately hit him, knocking him to the ground and leaving him unconscious.
On Monday, April 1, Pablo Lyle, who was arrested on charges of aggravated assault, appeared, according to Miami Dade Court records, before Judge Lisa Walsh, who authorized him to travel to Mexico, after paying a bond. of 5,000 dollars.
Hernández spent four days in a coma, after which time his family decided to disconnect him from the artificial respirator that was keeping him alive and he died.
The actor was placed under house arrest after posting $50,000 bail for the incident.
Lyle, whose acting career began in 2009, has appeared in several Mexican telenovelas and series such as “Verano de Amor”, “Mujeres Asesinas”, “Cachito de Cielo”, and starred in 2014 in “La Sombra del Pasado” with Michelle Renaud.
With information from Bertha Ramos, Ana María Mejía and Abel Alvarado from CNN en Español.