Sleeping family-of-four are saved by their smoke alarm as 29 firefighters desperately try to evacuate raging house fire sparked by a lone candle
- Family from Kew in Melbourne forgot to put out a candle on their dinner table
- They awoke about 2.45am on Tuesday after smoke alarm detector went off
- All four family members managed to escape with no injuries and called for help
- Twenty-nine firefighters battled to extinguish the blaze in the early hours
A family-of-four are lucky to be alive after a single candle lit their house up in flames.
The family from Kew in Melbourne forgot to put out a candle on their dinner table before going to sleep on Monday night.
The candle continued to burn throughout the night and eventually lit up the table cloth which then spread onto the floor.
The smoke alarm detector went off about 2.45am on Tuesday, alerting the family of the fire.
Fire crews are seen battling the blaze at a family home in Kew, Melbourne on Tuesday morning
All four members managed to escape unharmed and Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) services were called.
Fire crews arrived within four minutes of the call but it took 29 firefighters 40 minutes to put out the ferocious blaze.
‘Unfortunately the fire had already entered the roof space, making extinguishment difficult,’ a FRV spokesperson said.
At 3.23am, the blaze was under control but crews remain on scene to monitor the conditions and hot spots.
The house was not ‘completely destroyed’ thanks to the quick work of the firefighters.
Twenty-nine firefighters were called to extinguish the blaze on Tuesday morning
A crew member on scene it was important to not leave candles unattended and to ensure smoke alarms are working.
‘Please everybody, check your smoke alarms, check your smoke alarm batteries,’ he told 7News.
He suggest the installation of a ten-year battery in the smoke detector to ‘set and forget’.